cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our users can answer all of your questions on files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

If my hard drive crashes in effect I lose everything stored locally on my hard drive including the dropbox folder, will my files still be in dropbox online so I can resync them or will this delete the files from dropbox online as well?

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

Just want to make sure that if somehow the dropbox folder on my computer is accidentally deleted, or as a result of computer failure, that my files synced to dropbox online will still be online and I can then download them back to  my computer once it is fixed.

Thanks,

Fred

4 Replies 4
Highlighted

Re: If my hard drive crashes in effect I lose everything stored locally on my hard drive including the dropbox folder, will my files still be in dropbox online so I can resync them or will this delete the files from dropbox online as well?

Super User II
Super User II

It really depends upon 'what' happens. If the failure was to say, cause your machine to wipe all data (virus?) then it will possibly wipe it from Dropbox as well. However, remember you have a 30 day rollback period to get data back. Or, you can pay for a years worth with Pack-Rat. 

If it was a catastrophic failure (fire/flood/machine not booting etc.) then it would be safe as Dropbox wouldn't have been running to get a 'delete' command.

Note, however, that I still strongly suggest you have some sort of backups in place and dont just rely on Dropbox. 

- - -

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Highlighted

Re: If my hard drive crashes in effect I lose everything stored locally on my hard drive including the dropbox folder, will my files still be in dropbox online so I can resync them or will this delete the files from dropbox online as well?

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

I have the files saved on my computer in a separate folder, and then also in the dropbox folder. Should that suffice?

Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

Not really, no. You should always have at least 3 different copies of your data - so you have 2 now. Hard drive and cloud. Although cautious as cloud and hard drive are connected.

- - -

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

So I should purchase an external portable hard drive?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?