cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to make our Community work for you and we need your help. Take our short survey!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If someone downloads the content of a shared link locally, will the content be updated?

Highlighted

If someone downloads the content of a shared link locally, will the content be updated?

Explorer | Level 4

Basic dumb question: If a Can View link (to an Excel file) is received by someone who does not have Dropbox, and is uploaded to their computer, is the file automatically updated when contents are edited by others?

Also, am i correct in thinking they must still create a folder called Dropbox even though they don't have Dropbox ?

Thanks for reading

cheers

Terry

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: If someone downloads the content of a shared link locally, will the content be updated?

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hello @Terry0145, thanks for reaching out to the Dropbox Community!

You've come to the right place for your questions to be answered.

If someone downloads the content of a link you've shared, they'll only be downloading a copy of that version. Therefore, the downloaded content will not be updating. 

However, keep in mind that the link you've shared will be updated, so if you edit/add/remove content, by clicking on the link, they will be able to see the latest updates.

You can also find more about shared links and how they work in this atricle.

Now, creating a folder called 'Dropbox' won't be of any help in this case, as that folder is automatically created only when someone has a Dropbox account, and connects the account to the desktop app.

I hope this helps clarify things. Let me know if you have any other questions!

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2
Highlighted

Re: If someone downloads the content of a shared link locally, will the content be updated?

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hello @Terry0145, thanks for reaching out to the Dropbox Community!

You've come to the right place for your questions to be answered.

If someone downloads the content of a link you've shared, they'll only be downloading a copy of that version. Therefore, the downloaded content will not be updating. 

However, keep in mind that the link you've shared will be updated, so if you edit/add/remove content, by clicking on the link, they will be able to see the latest updates.

You can also find more about shared links and how they work in this atricle.

Now, creating a folder called 'Dropbox' won't be of any help in this case, as that folder is automatically created only when someone has a Dropbox account, and connects the account to the desktop app.

I hope this helps clarify things. Let me know if you have any other questions!

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Thanks Carmen, much appreciated.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?