cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Image thumbnail not showing up, only generic icon when i goto 'camera uploads' to try to attach

Image thumbnail not showing up, only generic icon when i goto 'camera uploads' to try to attach imag

mm-nyc
Helpful | Level 5

hi, i just had to reinstall my pc, reinstall dropbox, etc.. all good.

but in outlook i goto attahc an image, i goto my 'dropbox\camera uploads\ folder, and all i see are generic blue iconsicon.png, not the thumbnail image... how can i select the right attachment if i cnanot see it?

this also happens when i use windows explorer, and i goto 'dropbox\ (any dropbox folde with images in it)
help!
ive got the dropbox sync on, its not paused... it was worknig fine before i had to reinstall. so i know it can work.

not sure what options need to be edited, but  dropbox is worthless like this

thx

49 Replies 49

ramblingsu
Helpful | Level 5

Not sure why Dropbox support didn't just post this publicly rather than only email me, but here's a solution they sent that worked for me:

Open File Explorer > View tab > Options > View tab > Uncheck Always show icons, never thumbnails (If this is already unchecked, check it and OK..Then go back again and uncheck it and OK

ambenisar
Helpful | Level 6

Thanks ramblinsu.

Immortaleye
Helpful | Level 6

Yeah. Try doing that several times a day and see if you still think of it as a 'solution' I along with others have sent over screenshots and other information on this and so far Zilch after the intial exchanges.

As a photographer when editng I am constantly draging or importing things like textures into my work and dropbox is a way of ensuring access to those from different devices and locations. Once the thumbnail vanishes I have no idea what that texture looks like, As I may import a number of textures into an image to work out what is best for that creation I quickly end up with a folder that is effectively useless to me.

Will have to start looking at Amazon or Adobe cloud options instead as this is now ludicrous. A week and our studio opens back up from lockdown. Once that happens I cannot be messing around like this.

ambenisar
Helpful | Level 6

I feel your pain as a working photographer. However, so far this has worked for me. I also have a Box account and Amazon Photos. I may give Box a test run. For me it depends on the integrations with other apps. DropBox provides a lot of integrations that I wouldn't want to work without. 

patriotfence
Explorer | Level 4

I've had this same issue all week and tried every suggestion I could find.  What worked for me was using the Disk Cleanup utility in Windows 10 (Right click on your hard drive and select Properties in the menu).  I deleted the thumbnail cache, rebooted my pc and after Dropbox started again the thumbnails started re-appearing.

gotogordon
New member | Level 2

Same issue here on a clean install of Win 10.  I  did not have this issue before the clean install.  I'm not using smart sync, all files are local.  It only happens with folders within dropbox.  If I move the folder to downloads or some other location outside of dropbox the thumbnails show.

I have deleted thumbs via disk cleanup and command prompt.  I checked and unchecked the "show icon" button.  Nothing worked.

On small folder switching to online then back works but I do not want to do that for my main pictures folder as it's 125+ gb.  This is obviously a bug!

colourmepurple
Helpful | Level 5

I have the same problem. Double clicking the file to open it does not resolve the issue, the files are synced locally. For me its happening in the folder Dropbx > Screenshots. Its not happening to every file in that folder, only some of them, but a large percentageScreenshot 2021-05-08 10.29.29.png

daxaeterna
New member | Level 2

I am using the file explorer on my Win10 desktop and am only seeing the icons. I don't want to sync every single file locally with smart sync. I want to be able to see the thumbnail so that I can select the correct file to sync locally. How can I do this? What is the way to fix this? I wish you had posted the answer publicly instead of having to email people individually. Please assist.

ambenisar
Helpful | Level 6

There is apparently no permanent solution to this problem and Dropbox seems unwilling to address the issue.

madmick
Explorer | Level 4

I am pretty well an ignoramus with computers but I may have stumbled and fumbled my way to a solution to this problem.

I found that several of my folders had random images showing only the place marker with a grey X and no thumbnail. I back up all my photos onto an external hard drive so when I found a file which was badly corrupted this way I simply deleted it then replaced it from the external hard drive and right clicked to set all the files to "local".

Another hack for individual images was to right click them, make them "Online Only" then right click again and make them "Local".

Need more support?