cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Ross uses Dropbox to answer some new house questions here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Image thumbnail not showing up, only generic icon when i goto 'camera uploads' to try to attach imag

Re: Image thumbnail not showing up, only generic icon when i goto 'camera uploads' to try to attach

ramblingsu
Explorer | Level 4

Not sure why Dropbox support didn't just post this publicly rather than only email me, but here's a solution they sent that worked for me:

Open File Explorer > View tab > Options > View tab > Uncheck Always show icons, never thumbnails (If this is already unchecked, check it and OK..Then go back again and uncheck it and OK

Re: Image thumbnail not showing up, only generic icon when i goto 'camera uploads' to try to attach

ambenisar
Explorer | Level 4

Thanks ramblinsu.

Immortaleye
Explorer | Level 4

Yeah. Try doing that several times a day and see if you still think of it as a 'solution' I along with others have sent over screenshots and other information on this and so far Zilch after the intial exchanges.

As a photographer when editng I am constantly draging or importing things like textures into my work and dropbox is a way of ensuring access to those from different devices and locations. Once the thumbnail vanishes I have no idea what that texture looks like, As I may import a number of textures into an image to work out what is best for that creation I quickly end up with a folder that is effectively useless to me.

Will have to start looking at Amazon or Adobe cloud options instead as this is now ludicrous. A week and our studio opens back up from lockdown. Once that happens I cannot be messing around like this.

ambenisar
Explorer | Level 4

I feel your pain as a working photographer. However, so far this has worked for me. I also have a Box account and Amazon Photos. I may give Box a test run. For me it depends on the integrations with other apps. DropBox provides a lot of integrations that I wouldn't want to work without. 

patriotfence
Explorer | Level 3

I've had this same issue all week and tried every suggestion I could find.  What worked for me was using the Disk Cleanup utility in Windows 10 (Right click on your hard drive and select Properties in the menu).  I deleted the thumbnail cache, rebooted my pc and after Dropbox started again the thumbnails started re-appearing.

gotogordon
New member | Level 2

Same issue here on a clean install of Win 10.  I  did not have this issue before the clean install.  I'm not using smart sync, all files are local.  It only happens with folders within dropbox.  If I move the folder to downloads or some other location outside of dropbox the thumbnails show.

I have deleted thumbs via disk cleanup and command prompt.  I checked and unchecked the "show icon" button.  Nothing worked.

On small folder switching to online then back works but I do not want to do that for my main pictures folder as it's 125+ gb.  This is obviously a bug!

colourmepurple
Helpful | Level 5

I have the same problem. Double clicking the file to open it does not resolve the issue, the files are synced locally. For me its happening in the folder Dropbx > Screenshots. Its not happening to every file in that folder, only some of them, but a large percentageScreenshot 2021-05-08 10.29.29.png

daxaeterna
New member | Level 2

I am using the file explorer on my Win10 desktop and am only seeing the icons. I don't want to sync every single file locally with smart sync. I want to be able to see the thumbnail so that I can select the correct file to sync locally. How can I do this? What is the way to fix this? I wish you had posted the answer publicly instead of having to email people individually. Please assist.

ambenisar
Explorer | Level 4

There is apparently no permanent solution to this problem and Dropbox seems unwilling to address the issue.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

ambenisar Explorer | Level 4
    daxaeterna New member | Level 2
    colourmepurple Helpful | Level 5
    gotogordon New member | Level 2
    patriotfence Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?