cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Image thumbnail not showing up, only generic icon when i goto 'camera uploads' to try to attach imag

Image thumbnail not showing up, only generic icon when i goto 'camera uploads' to try to attach imag

mm-nyc
Helpful | Level 5

hi, i just had to reinstall my pc, reinstall dropbox, etc.. all good.

but in outlook i goto attahc an image, i goto my 'dropbox\camera uploads\ folder, and all i see are generic blue iconsicon.png, not the thumbnail image... how can i select the right attachment if i cnanot see it?

this also happens when i use windows explorer, and i goto 'dropbox\ (any dropbox folde with images in it)
help!
ive got the dropbox sync on, its not paused... it was worknig fine before i had to reinstall. so i know it can work.

not sure what options need to be edited, but  dropbox is worthless like this

thx

49 Replies 49

CompoCraig
New member | Level 2

Same for me.  Definitely a bug.

I have tried deleting thumbnails (made no difference), resetting the always display icon to make sure it isn't checked, moving between local and online only but as soon as I touch the imagine in any way I get this problem.

Annoying as I share Dropbox with less techie people who won't be able to faff around with settings to try unsuccessful workarounds.

If Dropbox aren't fixing this is going elsewhere the best option and if so which is the best alternative?  Do I look at OneDrive as we all have that anyway.   Frustrating through as I have been a big fan of Dropbox and got loads of folks to use it (bein the team geek within our group of friends and family)

Ellen56
Helpful | Level 6

@CompoCraig - I totally agree.  About the time I see a few images and get my hopes up, it all comes crashing down again.  I've tried switching over to Google Drive, but the ease of sliding things in and out of files is so much better with Dropbox.  Sharing isn't an option because, like you, too many untechie peeps. I hate to put all my eggs in the Microsoft basket, but this as been going on so long with no guidance, anticipation of software correction, or even a good explanation from Dropbox I am not sure where I am going from here.  Very open to suggestions!!

firebellys
New member | Level 2

having same issue and have tried literally every suggestion. It's dropbox breaking preview for all apps too if it's in side the folder. must be something with DB breaking the thumbcache.

SteveLV
Explorer | Level 4

I am late to the party but I am having exactly the same problem. Camera Uploads are showing generic icons and not a thumbnail of the photo. I have tried all the suggestions in this thread and none of them have worked. Will there be a solution to this problem?

Ellen56
Helpful | Level 6

SteveLV - I would say contact dropbox. The more we all keep pestering, maybe there will be a solution. When I've contacted them, I've been told they are aware of the issue, working on it, but have no idea when this will be fixed. From searching history, it looks like this has been an issue for some for over half a year.

SteveLV
Explorer | Level 4

I have been in contact with Dropbox via Twitter and latterly by email. At their suggestion I changed one of the files to Online Only (in Windows File Manager) and the thumbnail immediately showed. I then changed it back to Local and the thumbnail remained. I then changed all 693 files in the Camera Uploads folder to Online Only and back to Local (it took some time) and now all the thumbnails show.

In a further exchange of email Dropbox say there are aware of the problem but believe it is caused by some 3rd party software or App. I have asked if they care to say what they think it is but I have not had a reply. They have now closed my case.

I have just taken a pic on my phone; it uploaded immediately and the thumbnail is showing so for me the problem is sorted.

Ellen56
Helpful | Level 6

@SteveLV, I'm glad it has worked for you. I've done that and the next time I start my computer it is back to no-image thumbnails. I've researched and found places where the indications are if you have Google Drive along with Dropbox on your computer, it is messing with the images in file explorer, but again - no fix.  I'm so tired of having to go into my online dropbox to find my image and either download or find the filename and then have to go to my computer dropbox, locate that file and then use it. I do this on three separate computers and one just doesn't have the memory space for downloading additional photos. I'm beyond frustrated.  Good luck!

SteveLV
Explorer | Level 4

@Ellen56 I must admit I hadn't restarted my PC. I now have and the thumbnails are still there. I'll check my laptop later.

Hug1
New member | Level 2

Having issue with nit being able to see icons...also pics have the word shortcut on them and not JPEG? Would like to be able to see the icon and also send pics as JPEGS not shortcuts ( no one can open and view). 

DrBob99
New member | Level 2

There are hundreds of posts all over the Web about this - and yep, I just did a new install on a Win10 machine and now I can't see thumbnails.  Nothing I have tried works - or if it does, it only works briefly.  Tried toggling different modes, deleting thumbs, yada yada. None of it fixes the underlying problem.

This is clearly a bug - I am a programmer, so I know a bug when I see one!  The whole online/offline thing has apparently broken what used to be a great piece of software.  Sadly I don't have time to mess around - I need to see QR codes in generated images for a healthcare app, and this isn't working any more.

Going to check out some alternatives for images - because clearly Dpbx can't fix this problem which has been going on for months.  Very poor if you ask me!

PS Just added a few folders to my Google Drive - and of course this works straight out of the browser - I guess it is a matter of choosing the right tool for the right job - Dropbox is OK for many things, just not for images, I guess.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

DrBob99 New member | Level 2
    Hug1 New member | Level 2
    SteveLV Explorer | Level 4
    Ellen56 Helpful | Level 6
What do Dropbox user levels mean?