cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Ross uses Dropbox to answer some new house questions here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Images downloaded from Dropbox are corrupt

Images downloaded from Dropbox are corrupt

CarneyImages
New member | Level 2

I'm a photographer, and use Dropbox to distribute images to my clients. A graphic designer has been having complications with images that I upload to a shared folder. The images, JPGs, will not load into Adobe InDesign when she downloads them from Dropbox. After troubleshooting with her, Dropbox is the issue. The same exact files that I originally uploaded in Dropbox were uploaded through Google Drive through which she was able to download fine, and then open in Adobe. There is no change in the file other than the source of download. Both Dropbox and Google Drive had the exact same files, but seem to handle them differently.

The file shows as either a black box, or a static screen image in InDesign when sourced from Dropbox. It shows as a normal image when sourced from another file sharing service.

Is there a known issue, or work around to fix this in the long term. This will be a deciding factor in my continues use of Dropbox as I work in a high volume market, and need reliability on a daily basis in order to keep up with the amount of work I am handling.

Any info is very welcome.

3 Replies 3

Re: Images downloaded from Dropbox are corrupt

Hannah
Dropboxer

Hey @CarneyImages, thanks for reaching out. 

Do the image files in question preview correctly on our website?

And if you download them to your computer, can they be opened (using the native app to open these files, not a third party app) or are you seeing the same issue locally?

Keep me posted!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

CarneyImages
New member | Level 2
@hannah

The image thumbnails appear for the user. The files that she downloads from most, but not all of my folders, will not work for her in any programs. Other members of the same shared folder can use the images as the normally would.

Hannah
Dropboxer
Thanks for the update on this.

So, it would seem like there's an issue with this specific user's computer. 

Is this person downloading the files from our website, or are they syncing the files to their computer, using our desktop app?

If she's downloading them from the website, can you ask her to use a different browser or an incognito/private browsing window to download them, to see if that helps?

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropboxer
    CarneyImages New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?