cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Implementing a public library of files

Implementing a public library of files

New member | Level 2

Hi, I am trying to solve a problem where my organization is losing it's public library SAAS. The previous tool allowed us to upload documents, give them properties, a description, and then had a searchable interface for the general public.

In short term, I am wondering if DropBox can help with the loss.

Is the text within files searchable by the general public, and not logged in? For example, if the folder had 20 PDFs in it, is there any way for someone to search "sleep" and all of the files that contain the word sleep would appear?

Similarly, is there any way for someone who is not logged in to sort the files?  For example, if they wanted to see the most recent file, or the oldest file?

Is there any way to implement headings within a folder, and have files appear under it (without creating a new subfolder)?

I have put a few files into the folder to test drive the idea before fully offering it as a solution. Any insights?

Sincere thanks.

1 Reply 1

Re: Implementing a public library of files

Dropboxer

Hey @CPRI-Education; thanks for joining our Community!

In regards to your first question, note that full-text search feature which can find files by file name, extension, or keyword within the file is offered to all of our paid plans. Users on the Basic plan or non-Dropbox users who will access shared links to the files in question won't be able to use this feature though.

Moreover, non Dropbox users who access the shared links to your files or folders will see the content your links point to sorted by name automatically and they can choose between the grid view and the list view according to their needs. 

When it comes to your last question, I'm not sure if this would do the trick for you, but you could have a look at our Spaces feature

I hope this information helps and please let me know if you have any more questions!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?