cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know all about tools for creatives that work seamlessly with Dropbox, like Adobe? Well, check it out right here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing files from HD to Dropbox

Importing files from HD to Dropbox

svasey
Explorer | Level 3

Hello,

When I import files and folders from a Mac HD, I am stopped everytime with a message: “file name too long or with wrong unknown caracter“.

I use Dropbox as an external HD, (no more synchronisation, it brought me too much trouble.)

Please can you help me?

Thank you

Stephen

3 Replies 3

Re: Importing files from HD to Dropbox

Hannah
Dropboxer

Hi @svasey, thanks joining our Community!

Can you send me a screenshot of the error message you're getting?

Can you also clarify if you have moved the Dropbox folder to an external drive from the Dropbox application preferences?

Keep me posted!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Здравко
Super Collaborator | Level 20

@svasey wrote:
... When I import files and folders from a Mac HD, I am stopped everytime with a message: “file name too long or with wrong unknown caracter“.

I use Dropbox as an external HD, ...

Hi @svasey,

To avoid further confusion, usage of something as a external HD and to sync something, are 2 different things! Dropbox can NOT work as a external storage; it's work is to sync something stored on your HD to the cloud and further to other devices, if any. Of course, you are able to select what you want to be in sync, so to limit local storage requirements. Try don't to mix both they are different, even when seem pretty close!

Dropbox supported charsets for file/folder names are strongly limited, unfortunately! Supported symbols are only those belong to the basic multilingual plane. Any symbol in file/folder name outside mentioned set make the particular file/folder unsyncable! Check your names on the troublesome entries. Any extended symbol, like emoji for example, could be the source of trouble. Let's hope Dropbox will fix this, by you better don't rely on this. 😉

Hope this helps.

svasey
Explorer | Level 3

Thank you so much, this really helps.

Got it, I wanted to use it as a backup HD.

My Mac is too saturated, so I have to fond some other  way.

Thanks good

All good

Stephen

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

svasey Explorer | Level 3
    Здравко Super Collaborator | Level 20
    Hannah Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?