cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Infected with a ramsomware

Infected with a ramsomware

Explorer | Level 4

I have been attacked with a ramsomware. I see that I can restore file by file. I tried it, but the files are still encrypted.

Also, I can't see history for files that hasn't been renamed. And some files seems to be unrestorable from the version history.

Also, I saw that to recover files in mass the only thing I can do is to pay Dropbox Plus.

Can the support team help me there?

Thanks!

5 Replies 5

Re: Infected with a ramsomware

Dropboxer

Hi @z3nth10n, thanks for posting on the Community!

I'm sorry to hear about this situation. I’d recommend getting in contact with our support team directly to look into this matter in more detail. 

You can do this by opening an incognito/private browsing window, while not signed into your account, and accessing this link.

From there you should be able to contact support. Make sure to enter the same email you use to login to Dropbox. Thanks!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Dropbox Ticker Support sucks: I was infected with a ransomware and nobody has helped me since 9/9/20

Explorer | Level 4

Well, the 9/9/20 I was infected with a ransomware. I created a post on the community. Somebody suggested me to create a support ticket.

I created a ticked with the wrong email. So, the person who attended me said to me that:

dropbox1.PNG

Which is OK, because is my fault.

Well, I sent another ticket saying to review the same ticket but in this new one:

dropbox2.PNG

Which is not so OK. 

I have three complaints about this support:

- Why did you close my ticket without letting me asking about those plans? I was thinking in paying, but the only thing that I can think of right now is to move on to Google Drive.

- I'm unsure although paying I'll recover any of my files. When I was infected I reviewed the history of some files and I couldn't see anything. So, is 100% for sure that if I pay for a new plan I'll have access to the previous files before been encrypted?

- You mean I need to pay to be attended? Why? I mean, if you need that I pay for a premium plan, at least, let me ask you about this.

For this reason, I need somebody to explain to me this situation, because I'm very upset about the service I received.

If not, I'll move to Google Drive which keeps files unencrypted but renamed in that case. I don't mind about these files anymore.

Obviously, I would like to recover them. But if you told me to create a new ticket I won't answer again this post.

So if you want a happy client, please, answer me here about those plans and my options. I don't want more ticker supervisors to say me nothing...

Re: Dropbox Ticker Support sucks: I was infected with a ransomware and nobody has helped me since...

Dropboxer

Hey there @z3nth10n, thanks for getting back to us. 

I'm afraid that upgrading your subscription doesn't have an effect on your version history, as it's not retroactive. 

Your technical support options depend on what kind of account you have, and you can find yours by going to dropbox.com/support

However, I do understand how important this is for you, so I've sent you a ticket myself to further investigate. 

When you have the chance, check your inbox and we'll take it from there. 

Thanks again!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Re: Dropbox Ticker Support sucks: I was infected with a ransomware and nobody has helped me since...

Explorer | Level 4

Thanks for reopening the ticket! I already answered to it.

Helpful | Level 6

I discovered another way to restore the files without using the Rewind function. It's more laborious, but still functional.
It happens that the ransomware changes the name of the file, so, for example, a file with a name "report.xlsx", becomes "report.xlsx.id[232323-12312].acuff",
What i did was to change the file name to "report.xlsx" again and, that way, Dropbox showed early versions of the file.
After that, I simply restore the files I wanted.

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?