cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Instructions on 'How to Move Dropbox Folder' not working

Instructions on 'How to Move Dropbox Folder' not working

DavidBally010
Explorer | Level 4

I suspect hosting my Dropbox Desktop (Desktop app) on my hard drive is the cause of my computer seriously bogging down recently.

I wanted to try moving the DropBox Desktop to my Passport External Harddrive.

I found these instructions below in the DropBox help menus but nothing there makes sense.

How to move your Dropbox folder

1. Click the Dropbox icon in the menu bar.
  2. Click Preferences (Linux), or your avatar (profile picture or initials) (macOS and Windows)
  3. Click Sync (on macOS you’ll first need to click Preferences…).
  4. Click Move… (Linux and Windows), or Dropbox location (macOS).
  5. Select the new location for your Dropbox folder.
  6. Let Dropbox move your folder and its contents to the new location.

----------

1. - ok

2 - click "Initials" - ok - a small window also with my initials and my name opens but it is not interactive.  Its basically a picture. Right click or left makes no difference.

3 - No "preferences" are available following step 2 BUT if I instead go to the top Left corner and find the three verticle dashes and click on them then go to "File" and then "Preferences", I get there. 

4. There is no "Move" option in Preferences.  There are headings "General", "Account", "Backups", "Bandwidth", "Proxies", "Notifications", "Sync" 

So where is "Move"?

Thx in advance for any help.

David

7 Replies 7

Lusil
Dropbox Staff

Hi there @DavidBally010, thanks for reaching out to us. 

The Preferences should come up as a drop-down menu after clicking on your avatar icon. 

If you click on it and nothing happens, could you let me know if you've tried rebooting your computer? Maybe that will do the trick. 

Let me know how it goes, cheers!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

DavidBally010
Explorer | Level 4

I don't have an avatar but I think my initials are in the place it would be.  When I click on my initials, even after just rebooting, the only thing that opens is a partial picture of my name. It is not a hyperlink or anything else. Its just a picture.  I have pointed it out with the screen app and added an arrow to show what pops up when I click my initials.  That is not there normally and only pops out when I click on my initials.

Dropbox 3.PNG

Daphne
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the screenshot @DavidBally010!

It seems that you're clicking on the Dropbox icon in your task bar/dock which is opening the app, which is why you're not seeing the appropriate options there.

Please check out the screenshots for your computer's OS on this page to find the correct icon that's mentioned in the first step.

Just to mention, we would generally recommend against moving the Dropbox folder to an external drive due to the issues that can be caused if the drive is unmounted while the desktop app is running.

If you haven't already, please check out the info provided here before moving the folder to your Passport drive.

Let me know if that helps!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

James Lynes
Explorer | Level 4

Right.  It's not working!!!  Frustrating, frustrating frustrating!!!  (Chromebook ASUS) 

Mark
Super User II

If you are using a Chromebook then there is no Dropbox folder on your machine @James Lynes . Thats because you cannot install things like a computer on to it - you run it like a mobile device. So the options do not exist (hence you cannot open a Word document and save to C:\My Documents etc. as it doesnt have one). 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

James Lynes
Explorer | Level 4

Thanks Mark, 

I do have Dropbox on my Chromebook & have been using it for the past several months.  My problem is when I open Dropbox & the list of folders are in rows one after the other, I can't move one folder into another.  If I inadvertently started a new folder but in a sub-folder of a main folder, I can't "clip & paste" or drag it to make it a main folder or put it in a sub-folder of a different folder.  Dropbox doesn't appear to have a "clip & paste" or "drag" option to do this.

Suggestions?  

JJL

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @James Lynes, do you see some kind of ellipsis button (three dots) next to the folder, that would give you an option to move it?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropbox Staff
    James Lynes Explorer | Level 4
    Mark Super User II
    Daphne Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?