cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn more about how Connie, a member of the Community, uses Dropbox here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent Syncing Issues

Intermittent Syncing Issues

tempspaz
Explorer | Level 3

I noticed this started happening last night, but files created/saved are not syncing locally consistently. You can see right around when the failure started happening today. The file at 6:13 was a previously created file. Things were working smoothly all day long then -poof- I'm unable create share links and the Dropbox secondary click menu does not appear when right-clicking on a file. I also cannot smart sync files as well, so I'm unable to get to any files through the finder that weren't already synced. Uploading appears to be working as I can see the files on the Dropbox Web Browser. 

screen_shot_2021-01-19_at_6.15.43_pm.png

5 Replies 5

Re: Intermittent Syncing Issues

Daphne
Dropboxer
Hi there @tempspaz, thanks for reaching out!

Can you tell me what the sync status of the desktop app is showing right now? You can click the Dropbox icon in your menu bar to see this info.

If you see any errors there, please send me a screenshot of that.

Also, which version of the app do you have installed?

Looking forward to your reply!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

tempspaz
Explorer | Level 3

@Daphne

Sync status says up to date

I dont see any errors

When i start the dropbox app to find the version, everything syncs back up, but the app doesnt appear in my dock, so it doesnt appear to be running, but my files are syncing. I'm unable to view the app preferences bc of this. I ran an update yesterday AM, so it should be most recent.

My system settings

Screen Shot 2021-01-20 at 9.25.14 AM.png

Daphne
Dropboxer
The Dropbox icon that shows when the app is running would be in your menu bar, in the top right corner of the screen @tempspaz.

In the dock you would see the Dropbox icon when you open up the additional desktop app interface, which is another way to view your files other than through the Finder.

Also, since it's showing "up to date", can you just confirm if these files are still not showing sync icons? Can you create a shared link from the right click?

If you're still not seeing that, could you send me a screenshot of the options that you can see from the right click menu?

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

tempspaz
Explorer | Level 3

The desktop interface does not work at all, but smart syncing appears to be working with a few hiccups.

I occasionally have to relaunch Finder to get the Dropbox secondary click actions to appear ("share...", "send with transfer", etc.) which is what I really need to be working correctly. 

Daphne
Dropboxer
Can you try downloading the app again from here and running the installer, to see if that makes any difference @tempspaz?

Otherwise, I would suggest doing a full reinstall of the app. 

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Poll
Are you starting new work habits this year?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?