cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our users can answer all of your questions on files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Invited to Dropbox Business - And now I need a new e-mailaddress??

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

Hello!

I just god invited to join Dropbox Business, and when I try to "get started" I have to choose where my existing files should be moved - to my personal dropbox or to the business. When I choose to move them (keep them) in my personal dropbox, I have to fill in my personal e-mailadress and a password. There I fill in my existing e-mailaddress and password (because I want to keep it as it is, of course), but Dropbox return an error: "Please enter your personal e-mailadress". I just did.... What to do? I just want to join that business invitation, but I don't want to mess with my existing dropbox account or files. What's the problem?

8 Replies 8
Highlighted

Re: Invited to Dropbox Business - And now I need a new e-mailaddress??

Super User II
Super User II

It is not recommended to move a personal account to Business accounts - you lose your money (as it goes to the company accounts) and would lose any referral bonuses etc.

Dropbox for business accounts let you have TWO Dropbox folders on your machine - one personal and one business so why not do that?

Use a business email for the new account.

- - -

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

Maybe I'm too stupid too understand how this works, but I thought that it would work just as you describe, that I will see two dropbox-folders on my computer, one belonging to me and one to the company. I am a paying dropbox user and I have used dropbox for several years, because it's awesome. Now we are a bunch of people that wants to use dropbox for sharing files between us, using the business variant (because it's all about business), so we don't get things mixed up. Therefore the owner of the business started a dropbox business account ant invited me. But I seem to be too stupid to get it to work. All I do is following Dropbox's instructions, which asks me where I want to move all of my existing files on my Dropbox account. But I don't want to move anything, I don't want to change and use another e-mailadress, I just want to keep using my personal Dropbox as it is plus get access to that business account that is already started/registered... So why don't it work like that? It doesn't seem logical...

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

I don't get this either. I was invited to use a business account and now my "personal" account won't be recognized as my personal account because it has the same email address that the invitation came to.... that doesn't make sense. Does anyone have an answer for this other than creating some gmail account or something just so I can keep my personal files?

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

I think the official answer is that you would need to create a separate account to use for your personal account or you would have to be invited from a new account. I accidentally migrated my personal account to a business account and now my business has control over my personal files! It's incredibly stupid and very confusing. 

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1
I just upgraded from a pro account to a business account because our business files were chewing up the space allocation for our team. The process could not be more confusing - and it seems to be deliberately so. They should give clarity about the need for two email addresses - one for the old personal file, and one for the new business folder. As most of our team were using dropbox personal accounts using their business mail address, the confusion is now widespread throughout our organisation.
Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

Insanely confusing....and no clarification provided by Dropbox.  This is just another reason to use the alternatives.

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

I'm so confused I'm ready to permanently delete Dropbox. All I want is to download a file the boss shared with me, but because I don't have enough space in my personal DB, it won't do anything! What a load of crap. I'm not upgrading and paying........

Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

Your post isnt related to the thread Beth, but, if your boss just needs you to download them get them to send you a link instead. That doesnt use quota. 

If its a shared folder he needs then yes, you do need the quota - so get your boss to pay. 

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Ask a Question section here.]

- - -

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now check it out here.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?