cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ios11.0.1 “Cannot save file” error saving from Office apps to Dropbox

Ios11.0.1 “Cannot save file” error saving from Office apps to Dropbox

Malmacdowall
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Issues since latest ios11.0.1 update on IPad. 

Error in excel, word, PowerPoint when “Save as” and selecting a Dropbox file.

Error message is “Cannot Save File.  That file name wont work because it includes invalid characters or it’s too long. Please try a different name. “ 

Have tried saving the file with the file name A but still have same issue. 

Same error is generated when exporting as a PDF to Dropbox. 

Had been working fine until recent update of both iOS, Dropbox and office apps. 

No issues creating pdf or saving as different name to other cloud drives and to ipad. 

36 Replies 36

Sanchez
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @MD17, welcome to our community! 

The latest word on this issue is that our team is investigating with the Microsoft folks. I suggest that you log a support ticket here, so that our team can keep track of your case, and notify you of any updates. 

Cheers! 

Sanchez
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: What do you think about the Community? Fill out our survey here!

PriyaKB
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I’m also having the same issue when trying to work on Microsoft Word on my iPad, saving to Dropbox. The file will work fine when I use a desktop, but then when I try to open the same file using the Word iPad app, I get a message “can’t upload - something is wrong and changes can’t be upload” and it prompts me to save a copy. I don’t want to save a new copy every time I want to save a file. 

Similar to other users, when I try to export from Word as a PDF, the file saves but is 0 bytes. 

I submitted a ticket but also wanted to add to this forum.

Sanchez
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @PriyaKB, welcome to our forum! 

I’m sorry to hear that you’ve been affected by this too, but I’m glad that you posted about it here. Since you have submitted a support ticket, our team will be able to notify you directly when there’s an update on this issue.

Cheers :slight_smile:

Sanchez
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: What do you think about the Community? Fill out our survey here!

vonLein
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Adding a brief note to say that I’ve been struggling with this same issue since late February. I can rename the file in Dropbox and then “save a copy” with the original name in the same place from Word, but I can’t overwrite the original file from Word and the auto-save/upload does not work. I suspect a permissions issue related to overwriting the file somehow?

MiamiTerri
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I am having same/similar problem. My error message is in a yellow ribbon/bar across the top of the document: “Can’t upload - Something’s wrong and your changes can’t be uploaded. Save File Copy”

I cannot save a file copy even if I change the file name. I get an error message “Cannot Save File”

Hoping for a solution SOON. 

Hforbis
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have also been having this same problem for some time. Affects most of the work I have tried to use my iPad to replace my laptop with -- PowerPoint, Word, Excel. Very frustrating.

ShepNeil56
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
Well I have the latest APP 88.2 (which was only updated this morning) and exactly the same problem occurred today. I opened a Word document received via email. It saved to my Dropbox file OK and I made a couple of edits and then the “Cannot upload file” message occurred so to save my changes I had to save it under a different name.

MD17
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Well, today finally it works :grinning:! Hope it will last

Me8742
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I always used to download to Dropbox - bills I’d been sent accounts etc on my iPad . This no longer works. - Haven’t checked on my iMac - The file that downloads is gibberish.

BUT I can download to the new Files app on my iPad - maybe Apple has done something to make downloading to Dropbox unworkable.

photos from Safari still works okay.

GloriP
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I have done that. I have a dropbox paid account, cannot use another one. 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hforbis New member | Level 2
    Sanchez Dropbox Staff
    sim61 New member | Level 2
    Tundragal New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?