cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ipad version of word not syncing with Dropbox

Ipad version of word not syncing with Dropbox

sok123
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi,

I've been syncing Microsoft Word files between my Macbook and Ipad through Dropbox with absolutely no problem. 

Right now I noticed that while Word on my Ipad timestamps the time I changed a file on my Macbook, it opens up an older version of the file for no reason.

I've tried logging in and out of Dropbox, and logging in and out of Word on my Ipad and nothing seems to work.

Any thoughts? Is the issue with Word itself? 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

sok123
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I went to "settings" and tried "reset Word -- clear all documents". That seemed to do the trick. Thanks! 

View solution in original post

38 Replies 38

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @sok123; thanks for posting on our Community!

Assuming that the desktop app on your Mac is 'up to date' and not still syncing (in your menu bar), can you please check if this only affects only one file or all of your Word files? Do you see the versions you're looking for on our website or within our mobile app on your iPad? 

Also, have you ensured you're using the latest versions of both apps and your device's OS? 

Any additional information or even a screenshot are more than welcome!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

sok123
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi there,

Thanks so much for your email. Everything is up to date (MacBook app, Mac OS, iOS on IPad, latest versions of Microsoft Word and Dropbox app on iPad). Everything has been synced, with no syncs pending. I have included two screenshots below from Microsoft Word on iPad to illustrate the problem. In the first shot, I'm trying to open the file through Dropbox through the app. It shows that the file was last updated yesterday at 9:38 pm (which is accurate). However, in the next shot, you see that when I actually open the file, it's showing a version update Sunday, December 5, which is the last time I updated the version on my IPad. The issue has to be with the Word app, because I tried using Dropbox through the iOS version of Excel with no issue, and I created a second Word docX test file on my MacBook that had the exact same problem (I.e. not showing the latest synced version on the iPad when I update it through my MacBook). It may be the case that Word simply needs to do an update, but not sure what else can be done or if this is a permanent issue. 

8AC3137B-D91B-4650-9F76-2A4BA881D2C5.jpeg

85B99D7B-3F0F-4B92-9B15-DE35BC40FE4B.jpeg

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

I'm not sure if this will make a difference, but have you tried clearing the cache from both apps on your iPad @sok123?

Maybe that will do the trick. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

sok123
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi Walter,

I'm not sure if Word or Dropbox gives an option to clear cache. Would you happen to know where I can do that without deleting files?

sok123
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I went to "settings" and tried "reset Word -- clear all documents". That seemed to do the trick. Thanks! 

gcorvin
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Having the same problem with all dropbox files edited with MS Word app.  resetting Word app to clear files works, but have to do it every time I use the app which is an awful workaround.  Please fix!!!

sok123
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Thanks for noting. For one major file I've been working on I switched to OneDrive because I wasn't sure if I would have to reset every time I worked on the document. Not sure if this requires an update in Word or in Dropbox, but personally I would prefer to continue to work on Dropbox without having to do this process over again constantly. 

Motte
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
I am having the same problem. And I have to reset Word every Time, which is a hassle. Any hint is kindly appreciated!

JimSchiel
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Same problem. Resetting Word worked for me too - though really inconvenient.  Does MS have plans to fix?

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

BethOfAus Helpful | Level 5
    psander New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?