cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ipad version of word not syncing with Dropbox

Ipad version of word not syncing with Dropbox

sok123
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi,

I've been syncing Microsoft Word files between my Macbook and Ipad through Dropbox with absolutely no problem. 

Right now I noticed that while Word on my Ipad timestamps the time I changed a file on my Macbook, it opens up an older version of the file for no reason.

I've tried logging in and out of Dropbox, and logging in and out of Word on my Ipad and nothing seems to work.

Any thoughts? Is the issue with Word itself? 

38 Replies 38

BethOfAus
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I’m using an iPad and have been using DropBox for years but over the past month, I’m having major issues.  I can see the latest version of Word documents in my Preview screen.  I can export that version to myself and confirm that it is the version I want, but when I try to open the document from DropBox in Word, I get an old version.  It shows ‘Downloading changes’ but when it’s finished, I’m still left with the old version.

I am considering looking for other software because this is happening regularly on my iPad.  It doesn’t seem to happen on my PC thankfully but when I’m out I need to edit things and I can’t unless I export, save ANOTHER copy and then start editing that one.

Any ideas what’s going on?

Thanks

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Thanks for posting @BethOfAus.

For the moment, I can suggest using this workaround to help with the issue.

I'd like to have a better look into it with your through our Support channel though, alongside some device specific info, so I've just sent you a brief email.

If you'd like to, please check your inbox for my message and we'll take it from there - cheers!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Motte
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

@BethOfAusproblem description fits exactly to my problem. Preview in Dropbox is correct, but old version in Word (smartphone). No problems on PC.

Motte
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Jake, Mar 19, 2021, 8:43 AM PDT:
Hello Motte,

Thanks for contacting us.

My name is Jake and I will be happy to assist you with your request.

From my understanding you are having an issue syncing Word documents on the Dropbox mobile app.

Currently I can only see a BlackBerry Priv (STV100-4) linked to your account.

*Dropbox no longer maintains a Dropbox app for Blackberry. This app has been built by Blackberry Limited using Dropbox APIs and has not been reviewed by Dropbox.

You may need to contact Blackberry regarding this issue.

Please let us know if you need further assistance.

Kind Regards
Jake
The Dropbox Team

Dear Jake,

Thanks for your immediate reaction. You are right, as far as a BlackBerry Priv (STV100-4) is linked to my account. But have you noticed, that other Dropbox users are having the exact same problem? I assume, these users are using up-to-date smartphone os. I would bei happy, if you'd dive deeper into the problem.

Kind regards
Motte

BethOfAus
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Yep, mine is an iPad where I’m using my new iPhone SE as a hotspot for internet access.

BethOfAus
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Success!  It’s a Word thing not a DropBox thing!  Thanks to Daphne I did the whole DropBox / Clear Cache / Install / Uninstall to be absolutely certain where DropBox was at, but I’ve been too nervous to edit this important document on my iPad since Sunday.

Am now on my iPad, and nearly died when the Sunday version of my document appeared on here despite DropBox showing me clearly that IT had the CORRECT version.

So...

In Word, Settings, I found Offline Files / Recent Files available Offline was on, so I turned that off.

Then I went hunting for how to clear the Cache on my iPad.  Found I had to go to Settings / Word / Reset Word / Clear All Documents

046660FF-9A43-48D2-B74C-2415DFBA1A46.jpeg
I then double clicked and swiped up to remove my current Word session, then went back to DropBox and finally successfully opened the version of the document I needed.

So it is basically Word settings that have defaulted on my iPad that don’t fit how DropBox works!
I’ll let you know how things go from here on in, but I can now get to work on this VID (very important document)

All the best.

BethOfAus
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

And...  the old version just showed up on my ipad again.  So went to Settings, Word, Reset Word, and Clear All Documents again.  Swiped the existing Word session away and reopened and all good.

I gather this is now the new norm, but at least it is a quick and easy enough process.

psander
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I'm using a Samsung Galaxy Tab A running Android 8.1 and the latest version of MS Word for Android.  I'm experiencing the same issues noted earlier in this thread when accessing .docx files saved in Dropbox.  Opening any .docx file results in a read-only version being presented.  If I use the MS Office reset function, the next file accessed will open as a saved version for the first file accessed after the reset, but any further documents opened are again opened as read-only.  The document can be forced to editable by performing a Save As operation.

All of these work-arounds are painful and time consuming.  Has another correction to this problem been determined since the last poster's reply?

Thanks 

BethOfAus
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

My ongoing workaround for this is to double click to see all open apps, swipe up the open DropBox app and then reopen DropBox.  This forces a full reload and works fine.  You just have to remember to do it!  But it’s pretty well become an ongoing habit now.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

BethOfAus Helpful | Level 5
    psander New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?