cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it expected that my backup folder syncs to my other devices?

Is it expected that my backup folder syncs to my other devices?

Helpful | Level 5

I am using the "Computer Backup" feature of Dropbox.

I have PC 1 that I opted to backup "My PC" > "Desktop", "Documents", Downloads".

However, all of these files are showing up on PC 2 and PC3 which have small hard drives. 

This functionality seems to be no different from normal Dropbox behaviour.  I had expected it to backup to Dropbox only and not also to all other connected devices.  If this is correct, that what is the advantage of "Computer Backup" other than being able to select three folders outside of the default Dropbox folder?

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Computer Backup Dropbox Feature - Backing Up to All Dropboxes

Dropboxer

Hi again @RogerW37; I just got back to you to your other post here on our Community.

As you noticed, the backed up folders will appear as normal and in their regular location in Finder/Explorer but in reality will link to folders inside the Dropbox folder.

The backed up folders will be contained within a folder called My Mac (<device name>) or My PC (<device name>) where <device name> is the name of the computer. For example, My Mac (joeblogs-mbp.example.com).

After backup, you can: 
  • Access those folders from the Dropbox folder on your computer, dropbox.com, the Dropbox desktop app, and the Dropbox mobile app. Any changes you make to those folders on your computer, or in your Dropbox account, are automatically mirrored in both places.
  • Restore any files you delete from those folders, see version history and restore old versions of those files, and use Dropbox Rewind to undo a large number of changes at once.

As per your concern now, note thta when viewing these folders from Finder/Explorer, syncing icons will be present just as you would expect if viewing a folder from inside your Dropbox while including Smart Sync is also available for these files/folders.

The backup folders will be available across the various Dropbox platforms, dropbox.com, mobile and other computers that are linked.

The main purpose of this feature is to give our customers all the powerful features that Dropbox offers outside the confinements of their Dropbox folder.

I hope this helps clear things up a tad and I'm always around for any follow up questions. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

19 Replies 19

Dropboxer

Hi again @RogerW37; I just got back to you to your other post here on our Community.

As you noticed, the backed up folders will appear as normal and in their regular location in Finder/Explorer but in reality will link to folders inside the Dropbox folder.

The backed up folders will be contained within a folder called My Mac (<device name>) or My PC (<device name>) where <device name> is the name of the computer. For example, My Mac (joeblogs-mbp.example.com).

After backup, you can: 
  • Access those folders from the Dropbox folder on your computer, dropbox.com, the Dropbox desktop app, and the Dropbox mobile app. Any changes you make to those folders on your computer, or in your Dropbox account, are automatically mirrored in both places.
  • Restore any files you delete from those folders, see version history and restore old versions of those files, and use Dropbox Rewind to undo a large number of changes at once.

As per your concern now, note thta when viewing these folders from Finder/Explorer, syncing icons will be present just as you would expect if viewing a folder from inside your Dropbox while including Smart Sync is also available for these files/folders.

The backup folders will be available across the various Dropbox platforms, dropbox.com, mobile and other computers that are linked.

The main purpose of this feature is to give our customers all the powerful features that Dropbox offers outside the confinements of their Dropbox folder.

I hope this helps clear things up a tad and I'm always around for any follow up questions. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

Explorer | Level 4

Walter, can you please help with my problem? Dropbox automatically synced up my desktop folders and I had no way of knowing the folders it created were actually my own harddrive folders, so I permanently deleted the folders to clear up storage without knowing better and lost a huge chunk of very important files that I now am unable to restore from the recycling bin. Can Dropbox please restore my PC folders for me so I can get my files back and reset my Dropbox account to a state before it began involuntarily syncing up my harddrive folders? Thanks.

New member | Level 2

How do you delete the back up folder?

Explorer | Level 4

I have the same issue.

I've read the other threads on this.

I can't find the "Imports tab" and instead have a "Backup" tab in my settings but no "manage backups".

I've tried deleting the app, unlinking my account, moving the folders and followed the other instructions as best as I could.  I am not still stuck with the sync which is using up too much space and making me upgrade because of it.

I'm about ready to delete my whole account and figure out another way.

Is there a fix to this out there?!

There's a folder in my Dropbox that is from another computer

Explorer | Level 3

A folder appears in my dropbox app & web which appears to be a link to another computer's desktop (my notebook) and all it's folders. i did not create it. how do i remove this link?

When i tried deleting the folder, mmy desktop icons on the computer that it was linked to disappeared, however the folder was recreated with only the download folder remaining (the documents and download folders were deleted).

i am thinking that the computer that the folder is linked to must have a setting that allows Dropbox to synchronize this folder to all devices.

Hopefully someone understands what's going on and can explain how i can permanently this link.     

Re: There's a folder in my Dropbox that is from another computer

Dropboxer

Hi @rubyk, welcome to the Dropbox Community. 

It sounds like you may have the automatic computer backup feature enabled on your other computer. 

For this reason, please have a look at this article and follow the instructions to turning it off and removing the content from your Dropbox folder. 

Let me know how it goes, thanks!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Re: There's a folder in my Dropbox that is from another computer

Explorer | Level 3
Hi Lusil
I tried that possible solution but it did not work.
In order to continue using Dropbox on the computer where the issue originated, i had to do a factory reset.
Thanks for taking the time to respond

New member | Level 2

The same issue I got !! 

Yesterday, when i installed the App at first, i clicked the button of backing up [Desktop][Document][Downloads] without any attention and after i knew i made a mistake, I had no idea how to stop it. As i stoped it on Preference/backup, it did't work. Everytime i started it, it would begin Desktop backing up!! I reaaally wanna it stop. So i tried to uninstall App, and deleted the [Dropbox folder]. But the thing i didn't realise is the [Dropbox folder] was link to my [Desktop][Download][Document] folder..... so my [Desk] folder was been deleted as the [Dropbox] folder done. I couldn't find it in Trash folder, even anywhere!!! Soooooo sad!! I lost all my files. 

I just wanna my files back, and stop the **bleep** backups. I don't like automatically backups personally. I had to subscribed an recovery app to recover my files, luckily, most of my files were coming back. And I have to reinstall my Mac system to solve this issue. I don't know if it works. Eventhough what happens on me, i do like using Dropbox as my backup drive. For now, i just wanna know, how to make my [Desktop][Document][Downloads] folder out of [Dropbox] folder when i stop auyomatically backing up? T T 

New member | Level 2

Same here. I thought it would be cool to have my desktop saved because I keep stuff there that I don't want to lose, but I'd forgotten that I hade mail backups stored there which contain lots of files. When I saw that Dropbox was syncing over 100 000 files and realized that my computer slowed down, I wanted to stop the whole thing. But no luck. It can't be stopped, it would seem. I'm not even sure what Dropbox is syncing now. Most annoying. Especially as the process is not explained properly. There should be a huge "Be Afraid".

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?