cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it normal for a Dropbox folder's "Date Modified" to change if I create a new folder inside?

Highlighted

Is it normal for a Dropbox folder's "Date Modified" to change if I create a new folder inside?

Explorer | Level 3

I am currently using a Macbook Pro with the latest dropbox app version installed. I noticed that if I have a folder, say "Top Folder" with a date modified attribute of "9/20/2018", and I were to create a new folder in "Top Folder", like "Top Folder/SubFolder", this action makes the date modified attribute change to today's date for "Top Folder" itself. If I place a file inside "Top Folder", this initiates the action as well.

Now, if I were to modify a file WITHIN "SubFolder", this action doesn't modify permissions in "Top Folder", making it seem like any changes to the date modified attribute must be done within 1-level of "Top Folder".

I somehow remember this wasn't the case up until recently. Is this to do with permissions? Is this normal?

Thanks.

5 Replies 5
Highlighted

Re: Is it normal for a Dropbox folder's "Date Modified" to change if I create a new folder inside?

Dropboxer

Hello @adropboxuser142412, thanks for dropping by. 

Out of curiosity, do you see that same date being reflected on the website as well, or is it just your computer? 

Keep me posted!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Re: Is it normal for a Dropbox folder's "Date Modified" to change if I create a new folder

Explorer | Level 3

Hi Lusil,

Thanks for the reply. The change in modification dates only exists on my computer, and the files on dropbox.com are not changed, reflecting the date the folders were created. That is, the dropbox files show "Modified {creation date here}". Thanks!

Highlighted

Re: Is it normal for a Dropbox folder's "Date Modified" to change if I create a new folder

Dropboxer

You're right, @adragonuser142412

When you take certain actions on a folder in the Dropbox desktop app, the modified date of the folder is updated on that computer but doesn’t sync with other devices.

You can find more relevant information on this, here

Give me another nudge if you have any other questions, cheers!

Lusil

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Is it normal for it to show it is modified like that? Is there perhaps a permissions setting in dropbox I should employ? Such as holding I think, command, when inside the dropbox app, it opens a hidden menu.

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Just to make sure that I have a better visual of this, could you send me a screenshot (without any personal info) illustrating what you're seeing?

Looking forward to hearing back from you, @adragonuser142412!

Lusil

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?