cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to cancel a sync immediately?

Is it possible to cancel a sync immediately?

Explorer | Level 3

hello -- I have a folder that is 132 GB that I copied from an old iMac to Dropbox has synced to the computer I want it to sync to (took a couple of days). However, I was not able to stop the sync from the original computer that I copied the folder from. So now the old iMac is trying to sync the copy. I've told Dropbox app to not sync this folder. But, Dropbox is still in the middle of copying this folder. I've paused syncing on the old computer. Is there a way I can just cancel the sync that it is trying to do?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Is it possible to cancel a sync immediately?

Dropboxer

In that case, I'd suggest letting the app sync until it shows 'up to date' within your menu bar to ensure you're fully synced and from there apply selective sync on the folder you'd like removed from the new computer's hard drive through the app's preferences, Tobi.

Let us know if you have any more questions. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Dropboxer

Hi there @Tobi_Designs, let's see what we can do here. 

Have you removed the folder in question from your Dropbox folder?

Do you still see it when you sign in via the website?

Let me know what you find, cheers!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3

I haven't removed the folder from Dropbox because I want it to stay on Dropbox and my new iMac. I don't need the folder to now sync to the original old iMac. But I am afraid to delete it from the Dropbox folder on my old iMac -- I don't want to delete from actual Dropbox cloud and my new iMac. Does that make sense? I could keep it syncing overnight if needed and then delete it. But it would be great if there was a way to just cancel the sync. Thanks!

Dropboxer

In that case, I'd suggest letting the app sync until it shows 'up to date' within your menu bar to ensure you're fully synced and from there apply selective sync on the folder you'd like removed from the new computer's hard drive through the app's preferences, Tobi.

Let us know if you have any more questions. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

View solution in original post

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?