Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to detect when my synced database is in use to prevent sync issues?

sickless299 New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hi guys,

I'm having a project where my database will be stored on Dropbox. It's a live database, so whenever the user saves changes from special user interface the data is transferred to Dropbox database via opening the file, changing the data and saving it back again.

It's unlikely there will be changes from 2 different users transferred to this database at the same time, however I'm wondering if it's possible to somehow catch the event when the base is being saved as a new version, because the file is already opened by another user.

I'm using currently "Token method" when any time the base is opened a txt file is being generated, however i'm afraid that due to synchronization it may take while it will be transferred to Dropbox and available to be read by 2nd user letting him know he needs to wait to update the data.

Maybe there are any other methods to deal with such case?

Thanks!

1 Reply 1

Re: Is it possible to detect when my synced database is in use to prevent sync issues?

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @sickless299, thanks for joining the Community!

Generally, it isn’t recommended to have live databases stored in the Dropbox folder since there could be sync conflicts such as the ones you’re trying to prevent.

There isn’t a way to lock the database itself or to track when a file is changed to prevent other users from accessing or updating the database at the same time.

I’ll leave this thread open for now to see if other members have any ideas on this matter!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?