cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We love to hear how every person gets the most from Dropbox, and it seems everyone has a slightly different use for it - tell us yours here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to have a shared file that i can access but dosen't take up my storage?

Is it possible to have a shared file that i can access but dosen't take up my storage?

help me please
New member | Level 2

My dad shares a folder with me so that i can use his storage since he has more than me. We thought that it would only take up his storage but now mines full so it clearly dosen't. Is it possible for him to share his storage with me so that i can both access it and prevent it from takin up my space?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Is it possible to have a shared file that i can access but dosen't take up my storage?

Rich
Super User II

@help me please wrote:

Is it possible for him to share his storage with me so that i can both access it and prevent it from takin up my space?

No. You can't take advantage of another person's increased storage like that.

There are two other options you might consider. If you only need view access (you don't need to upload to the folder), your dad can send you a shared link to the folder instead. You'll be able to view and download from the folder, and you don't even need a Dropbox account to access it.

The other option is your dad upgrades to a Family plan and invites you to join it. Then you would each share the storage space, independently, as well as have access to a shared family folder.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Re: Is it possible to have a shared file that i can access but dosen't take up my storage?

Rich
Super User II

@help me please wrote:

Is it possible for him to share his storage with me so that i can both access it and prevent it from takin up my space?

No. You can't take advantage of another person's increased storage like that.

There are two other options you might consider. If you only need view access (you don't need to upload to the folder), your dad can send you a shared link to the folder instead. You'll be able to view and download from the folder, and you don't even need a Dropbox account to access it.

The other option is your dad upgrades to a Family plan and invites you to join it. Then you would each share the storage space, independently, as well as have access to a shared family folder.

View solution in original post

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @help me please, thanks for posting on the Community!

As mention by @Rich, shared folders take up quota on all active members' accounts.

Aside from shared links, they can also create a file request so that you can upload files to their account directly.

If you need any further assistance, please let me know!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropboxer
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?