cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our users can answer all of your questions on files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Is it possible to merge a Free Dropbox account with a paid one?

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I keep getting shared dropboxes from colleagues but only have enough space in one specific account. Possible to merge free dropbox accounts with a paid account? 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Merging Accounts

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey there (@gmlas), if you’re enquiring whether an upgrade on one Dropbox account could be applied to more than one users, then it would be worth noting that this isn’t currently possible. If you’re currently using more than one Dropbox accounts & one of them is upgraded, then you could consolidate all the content you need under one following the steps outlined here

That said, a 2 GB account can't sync more than 2 GB, including the space taken up by shared folders. Because every member of the share can add and modify the files inside, it takes up space in each member's account. 

If adding the share to your account is important to you, I'd recommend following these simple steps to slightly bump up your allowance. 

Alternatively, you may ask the folder Owner to share a link to the folder instead, that will not impact your account allowance & will allow you to view or download a one-way, read-only copy. In case you’d like to contribute in a project or in any way send them files in return, you could ask them to send you a File Request

I hope that this brings a bit more clarity to your inquiry & please let me know here if you still need assistance in any way! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
Highlighted

Re: Merging Accounts

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey there (@gmlas), if you’re enquiring whether an upgrade on one Dropbox account could be applied to more than one users, then it would be worth noting that this isn’t currently possible. If you’re currently using more than one Dropbox accounts & one of them is upgraded, then you could consolidate all the content you need under one following the steps outlined here

That said, a 2 GB account can't sync more than 2 GB, including the space taken up by shared folders. Because every member of the share can add and modify the files inside, it takes up space in each member's account. 

If adding the share to your account is important to you, I'd recommend following these simple steps to slightly bump up your allowance. 

Alternatively, you may ask the folder Owner to share a link to the folder instead, that will not impact your account allowance & will allow you to view or download a one-way, read-only copy. In case you’d like to contribute in a project or in any way send them files in return, you could ask them to send you a File Request

I hope that this brings a bit more clarity to your inquiry & please let me know here if you still need assistance in any way! 

Jane

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Sharing Folders

Explorer | Level 3

If someone is sharing a folder with me, do I have to have enough storage in my account as well? I thought if they were sharing their folder, it was their storage that matters. When I try to access the shared folder it says I don't have enough storage in my account. I have never experienced this issue before. 

Highlighted

Re: Sharing Folders

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey @ktmae58, I moved your post under this discussion here, just so as to ping you to my previous message to the OP that could help you understand why you can’t add the share to the account this time (i.e. most likely because it surpasses your account’s capacity) & explore the alternative options that could help you bypass that. (Quick Sidenote: I’ve also created this walkthrough that could come handy & which you could review whenever you have some spare time.)

Please let me know if you’d like me to explain any of the above in more detail & I’ll do my best to follow-up with you soon. Have a wonderful rest of your Friday until we talk again!

Jane

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now check it out here.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?