Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Is it possible to only receive Notifications when I'm @mentioned in a Paper doc?

Helpful | Level 6

Hello, I would like to set up Dropbox Paper so that I get notifications only when I am mentioned through @. I want the notifications through the app and not through email.

I set up a test paper and mentioned myself and then tried to mention another account, and neither mention triggered a notice.

Are notifications through the app possible or is this feature in beta?

6 Replies 6
Highlighted

Re: Paper Notifications

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey @SDReader, let me clarify matters a bit for you below & we'll take it from there.

Please bear in mind that you can currently disable the Weekly Digest emails & you can also disable the Paper Notifications on your desktop.

From there, Paper sends notifications of changes to your docs and folders by default, though you can edit that following the steps outlined here:

1. Open Dropbox Paper & click your avatar (if you haven't set an avatar, your initials are displayed).
  1. Click Settings.
  1. Toggle the Send email notifications from Always to If I haven't read them.
  1. Click Save.

I set up a test paper and mentioned myself and then tried to mention another account, and neither mention triggered a notice.

Are notifications through the app possible or is this feature in beta?

It would be worth mentioning that the Notification will be triggered the first time you share a Dropbox Paper doc, as this is automatically shared with your colleague at that point. If they're already following the doc, you can @mention them in a comment if you'd like to let them know of changes &c. 

Hopefully my advice is helpful & please do keep me updated on this discussion on how my pointers work for you. Enjoy the rest of your day until we talk again! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

Hello, the problem is that I am not getting any notifications through the Dropbox app on my phone. I do see the notifications on the desktop Dropbox App on Windows though.

Do notices not work on the Android Dropbox App?

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

Well, after a lot of tickering I finally got notices to appear on my Paper App on android.

It is not ideal as there is an inconsistent amount of time that elapses between the time that I am mentioned and the time it shows up in my notices on my phone. Sometimes it is 15 minutes and other times it is much longer like 45minutes to an hour. Not ideal if you are working dymanically in real time.

Also, on the App it only shows 1 notice no matter how many notices I have. If I have 5 messages my Windows notice will say 5. But on my phone it will only shoe 1 notice in the App.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Thanks for the detailed report @SDReader & apologies for the slight delay in getting back in touch with you. 

I’d like to further investigate whether I’m getting the same results when I follow the same steps & for that reason I’d like to have a closer look on the issue you’ve experienced through our Official channel. In order to investigate having all our tools available, I’ve made sure to reach out to you directly via email on my end. 

Whenever you find some time, please check your inbox for my email & I’ll make sure to promptly get back in touch with you asap. Thanks for reaching out on our Community & I’ll be awaiting your next reply!

Jane

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

I have the same sentiment as @SDReader , however the scale of my issue has caused a real problem of all of my co-workers that I've included in my document. 

For the last few hours, I've been updating my meeting notes with all of the post-meeting action items and lessons learned that came from our discussion during the meeting today.  Now I've come to find that over the course this time i've been editing, all of the 10+ or so people i've "invited", or @mentioned in the document, have been getting spammed with updated notifying them of my progress while drafting the paper. 

Is it possible to place all notifications to my teammates on hold until I've completed/finalized my draft. Basically can I wait to "unleash" the notifications once I've reached a point where I am comfortable with the document? 

The result of this is not helping my case for bringing people on to the idea of using Paper as a tool im my department. Nobody likes email notifications that they don't subscribe to intentionally. It would be much better if the notifications instead were only sent as pop-ups in the taskbar app.  In fact, there has been a company wide effort to reduce the amount of email notifications  we receive, and use tools that show notifications only when you want them. The result of people receiving numerous updates early on in the draft stage of the document causes people to open the document, see that the contents are incomplete, and return to what they were doing... and ignore any future updates from Paper as meaningless.

I love Paper and I woud appreciate any advice. I'm interested to hear any other perspective on my use-case. 

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @brtbendele, thanks for the feedback about what you’re experiencing.

Currently, it isn’t possible to pause notifications to other members of the Paper doc, since changes are synced immediately.

However, each user can disable email notifications to Paper docs, however this would be for all Paper docs. They would still get the pop up notifications on the site or Dropbox desktop application.

If you’re looking for a workaround to only send one email notification, there’s two options here:

• Add the info you want for the meeting/conference/etc. on a new Paper doc and then share that doc to the intended members.
  • If the Paper doc is already shared with people, create a new doc and add the notes there, and copy/paste it into the original doc.

I hope this info helps out a little!

Jay

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?