cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to rename the Dropbox folder to Dropbox instead of Dropbox (Personal)?

Is it possible to rename the Dropbox folder to Dropbox instead of Dropbox (Personal)?

Padraigincanada
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I want to get rid of (Personal) in my dropbox root folder now that I've stopped using Dropbox business.  "Jane" gives a great desription of how to change it on my mac, on this page: https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Installation-and-desktop-app/undo-changed-folder-name/td-p/220463

BUT, when I try the first step of deleting the link to my computer, it asks me "Delete files from my personal Dropbox the next time this computer comes online." and I don't know if I'm supposed to check this, or not supposed to check this.  And, it won't let me "REPLY" directly to Jane. 

Can anyone help? 

I want to keep all my files and relink them after I get the root folder name changed -- all I want to do is change the root folder name, I don't want to lose any files.

24 Replies 24

Bigalk
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi Jay,

I am running Windows 10 Home. It is my personal privatemachine. It is not connected to a compamy in any way.

Thanks,  Al

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

If you're not on a Dropbox Basic plan with more than 3 devices connected, could you try an advanced reinstall of the app using the steps in this link.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Bigalk
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution
Hi Jay,
 Thanks for all your help!  I made several attempts uninstalling and reinstalling Dropbox both as admin and not to no avail. I did manage to end up trying to backup all my files through the BETA during install.  What a mess! I had way too much data. It seems you can't use the rewind option unless you are a business account, which I am not. Manually deleting the data from dropbox would also delete it from the computer.

I had copied all my dropbox data  before  I started with all this so I was able to recover everything and reset my directory links.
It took some doing but I was able to empty my Dropbox.

My status is a dropbox with nothing in it and I have to manually start it if I want to use it.

Thanks again,
 Al

survivestyle
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hello- I followed these instructions and the (Personal) is still appended to my Dropbox directory. Please advise. I really don't want to spend the time waiting for dropbox to download all my cloud sync files, move the files the directory, rename it the directory, move all the files back, and wait for it to sync again.

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

Hi @survivestyle,

Probably you haven't unlinked the application from your account in a proper way. The reinstall can NOT break the application link; it's not part of the installation, but part of the configuration. One alternative is wipe out the entire configuration. If you use "Selective Sync" or other local settings, specific for the device, keep them on safe (screenshot, for example), so gonna be possible restore at the end. Execute on your Mac following in terminal:

rm -rf ~/.dropbox

Now, it's like you have never installed Dropbox application (more precise - like you just have installed it, but not used yet). Run the application, link it to your account, and put the syncing on pause. Hopefully, you have now Dropbox folder named just "Dropbox" in process of syncing. To speed up the sync, move/copy your old content and release the sync. Will need some time to reindex and ... done! 😉

If you prefer resync everything anew, skip the pausing-releasing the sync and copying the old content; just let it sync.

Hope this can help you.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Здравко Legendary | Level 20
    survivestyle Explorer | Level 4
    Bigalk Explorer | Level 3
    Jay Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?