cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to make our Community work for you and we need your help. Take our short survey!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I disable Smart Sync so that I can have my files sync?

Highlighted

Re: Is it possible to turn off Smart Sync?

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Thanks for letting us know of the steps that worked for you karpodiem!

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

I did what glennbullion suggested but after a while, the files decided that I wasn't using them and they went back to online-only... Any other suggestions?

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Let me follow-up in a bit more detail kmdweb. It's my understanding that this pertains specifically to your device's setup at the moment, so I'll take it from there. 

You may keep in mind that glennbullion's steps are specific to team members, therefore if you're using a Professional account, you may have a look at the info I posted on the previous page on this thread. 

As you’ve mentioned that your folders are changing without your input (namely reverting back to online-only ☁️ upon choosing them to become locally synced ), I’d suspect that Symlinks are causing this discrepancy. Have you by any chance used this type of reference to data in locations outside of the Dropbox folder? 

Please do let me know whether this is the case here, so as investigate with you in more depth. Thanks & I’m looking forward to hearing back from you!

Jane

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Highlighted

How can I disable Smart Sync so that I can have my files sync?

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Is there anyway to completely remove the Smart Sync feature? I want to always keep my files online and synced and accessible on my hard-drive as well. I now see the icons displaying Online Only on my files, as soon as I click on the file, it turns that file and the folder Local Only -- then I am forced to switch it back to Online -- this is causing issues with my company folder. 

Is there a way similar to Google Drive where I can just simply keep them live on my computer and have them update live from the Dropbox online in sync together. I assumed this WAS the norm now, but this Smart Sync feature is adding extra complications for me.

Highlighted

Re: Smart Sync issues!

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey there @Andzayn - sorry to hear you'd prefer not to use Smart Sync.

In any case, you can do so by setting your default sync preferences for new content to "local" and by recalling any files that are currently "online only".

For instructions on syncing online-only content and choosing the default setting for new content, please see this Help Center article

Should you stumble upon any issues with this process please don’t hesitate to reach back out; I will be happy to help!

Walter

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I currently have it set to be managed by admin as it's a company wide folder. But if I set it to be local then when I work off the file and save it, it won't auto update for my team, right? I'd like to essentially have it set so if we're working on files and saving, it's live updating on our dropbox folders.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Of course it will update normally @Andzayn - just make sure to keep the desktop application running when you work on those files - once it states "Up to date" you're ready to go since this would indicate that you're fully synced

Should you need anything else in the meantime, please let me know! 

Walter

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

The issue is it's saying up to date but my teammates cannot see my changes or updates and I cannot see theres. 

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Are they also showing "Up to date" @Andzayn? Have you made sure you're looking at the same folder(s) while you're at it too? 

Let me know what you find and we'll take it from there. Feel free to include any piece of information you think might help with our investigation in your next reply too.

Thanks again!

Walter

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Yes, it's showing no updates from anyone or myself, even in the web portal, I see that I'm alone in my team folder and its evening showing up under Everything Else rather than team.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Need more support?