cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Is it possible to turn off Smart Sync?

Collaborator | Level 8
I am trying to network a new windows 10 computer with my existing Windows 7 computers during transition. I am trying to synchronize the documents folder but it keeps doing something with dropbox in the path of the documents which it should not be. I am trying to network a new windows 10 computer with my existing Windows 7 computers during transition. I am trying to synchronize the documents folder but it keeps doing something with dropbox in the path of the documents which it should not be. It is messing up my ability to set up my network. There seems to be no way to turn it off and I did what was suggested here. I want an option other than local and I did that with my desktop when I first started the new windows 10 computer I just said save the desktop but local not online I want an option other than local and I did that with my desktop when I first started the new windows 10 computer I just said save the desktop but local not online. Keeping it as local is not solving the problem. I want to REMOVE it and get Dropbox COMPLETELY out of my Documents path in Quick Access. It seems impossible to take dropbox out of it.

Helpful | Level 5

Dropbox was a Sync utility. The best.

Why did you destroy the very essence of the "Sync" part?

Smart-Sync is an abomination. It is exactly the opposite of Sync. You should name it No-Sync or Smart-Download or Late-Download or Loose-Time or Please-Complicate-My-Life. Nothing about Sync here.

Please change everything back to make the old Sync functionality default. Without strange workarounds Local or Cloud-Only or whatever smart you came up to and FORGET to make it easy to disable this abomination.

If somebody needs the new Smart-Sync they should opt-in. Not the opposite.

What is wrong with the world today? Ah, yes: everything.

Collaborator | Level 8
Hi, yes, it was really horrible. It completely took over my computer and all the default paths that I needed for things to work properly in adding the computer to my home network (advanced file sharing as it is called on Win 10).

I finally found a Registry Edit fix that first set my Documents back to be in the computer’s natural path, and not route it through Dropbox. However, I STILL kept getting error messages where Dropbox was trying to take over. I ran Reg edit again in that same section and deleted all strings to my User folders that had “Dropbox” in the path. That finally solved the problem.

It was like a virus, and I finally got rid of it. I can look for those Regedit commands that worked for me and share them if you wish.

I totally agree there needs to be consent and an “off“ switch. The old way of syncing things worked fine.

Thanks, Kent

New member | Level 2

When I select a folder via Selective Sync I want my files downloaded, not marked Online only. I liked the old Dropbox. I could trust it to download files. This is advantageous for a couple of reasons. 1. It serves as a backup copy. 2. If I'm going to be offline without an Internet connection I know I'll have a replica of my files. 

Helpful | Level 5

I agree. The abomination (Smart-Sync) should be named Please-Complicate-My-Life! And unfortunately, we pay for this complication. 

New member | Level 2

It took me a while to figure this out. This is only for Mac OS.

1. Open the dropbox folder and select the folder(s) you want to save locally in a Finder window.

2. Click on the dropbox button to the left of the search field (top right of window) and go down to selective sync and change from "online only" to "local". 

The folder will start local syncing.

Helpful | Level 6

And so it continues...

I have just done a fresh install on a new machine.

I have selected folders I want to be selectively synced on this machine.

I have turned off the Shart sync option as I need all these files to be local.

Guess what...?

All newly selected files are online-only.  I have to manually set them to Local.

Can we please, please, please just have an option to actually turn off Smart Sync. It doesn't affect people who use it, but it helps those of us who have serious reservations with its lack of smarts.

Please? 

Helpful | Level 5

Despite turning off Smart Sync on my music folder, nothing is local unless I click on a file to download it.  I have waited overnight, nothing.  I have also also reinstalled the Dropbox app, nothing.  Many other people on this forum are having the same issue.  Contact one of us to investigate please.

Dropboxer

Thanks for posting @Specchio!

Just to clarify, when you say you turned off Smart Sync for this folder, did you right click the folder and choose "Smart Sync - Local"?

Or did you change the setting within the app preferences "Sync" tab to sync files as "local"?

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Helpful | Level 5

Thank you for your attention to this.  I have Smart Sync turned off in preferences (under the Sync tab).  I would think this is a global setting.  

Your question prompted me to look at the folder properties in Finder.  That setting was "online only" which seems strange, but when I set that to local, downloading has started.  Thank you for your help.

Chris

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Need more support?