cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our users can answer all of your questions on files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Is there a folder for the second Basic account on my computer?

Explorer | Level 3

My wife wanted a dropbox acct for herself.  We use the same computer.  I have a current basic acct, and I successfully started another basic account under her email.  I understand that we must logoff/logon to access the basic accounts.  

The problem is that my original dropbox folder is shown on my computer and works fine, but when she logged into her new acct, she can see the new files that were added in the app, but we don't know where they are on the computer?  There is only one dropbox folder visible and it is the original one.  Is this normal for multiple basic accounts?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Is there a folder for the second Basic account on my computer?

Super Collaborator | Level 20

Hi @maarkr,

I'm not sure what you mean "virtual account". It's the same account like your, nothing more or less. Just, in one local context only one non-business account could have local folder, that's it!

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @maarkr, thanks for joining the Community!

Is it possible that there are two Dropbox folders on the computer, one called Dropbox (Old), which would be from the original account?

Try to locate the location of the folder using these steps

Let me know how it goes!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

nope... no other dropbox folder on computer

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Where did they login? Was it the Dropbox desktop application, the website, or some other version of the app?

Could you forward a screenshot showing where she signed in?

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

@maarkr wrote:

...  I understand that we must logoff/logon to access the basic accounts.  

The problem is that my original dropbox folder is shown on my computer and works fine, but when she logged into her new acct, she can see the new files that were added in the app, but we don't know where they are on the computer?  ...

Hi @maarkr,

To be able access Dropbox folder to another not business account, you have to login in another local account, not only to another Dropbox account! Did you do that? Once your wife gets logged in another local account, she can login Dropbox using her credentials and a new Dropbox folder will bring up in a independent private space. Your Dropbox folder will stay in the your, already existing, private space.

If you don't do that, then, as @Jay mentioned, new Dropbox login will replace your current Dropbox folder and the existing one will be renamed to something like "Dropbox (Old)".

Hope this adds a clarity.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

So I open dropbox.com and my usual account is loaded.  I I select my logo and 'sign out'.  I log into it using my wifes new information and this is the screen.  You can see that I copied two files there by dragging in from my dropbox folder in explorer.  I can create new folders on this screen but they are folders in dropbox that do not appear in explorer.

SnipDropbox.png

Highlighted

Did you run Dropbox in a new local context? ( i.e. "mywife" local user, for example  )

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

you have to login in another local account, not only to another Dropbox account! 

do you mean that she must log on to a separate windows login? we haven't set that up casue she only uses my windows for a few things like GMail.

Highlighted

Yes, that's exactly the meaning! If you want only for few things then the web interface have to be enough.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

So I understand that I can have a personal dropbox acct for my wife but it will only be a virtual acct that i access files only by her logging into it, using drag an drop.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Polls
Have you been keeping up good habits while working from home?
We've created a working from home cheat sheet to help keep up on those habits, check it out here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?