cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a limitation when uploading?

Is there a limitation when uploading?

ledanielin
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Good morning, please I would like to know the size limit of a huge file (Terabytes) that can be uploaded on Dropbox and the maximum bandwith of upload and download. Also the CPU usage and Memory.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution
File size is only limited by the amount of space available in your account. When using the Dropbox client, files of any size can be uploaded provided you have enough space in your account. If uploading through the website, there's a 20GB file size limit, though the larger the file the more problematic it is.

There are no bandwidth limits for uploading or downloading your own files, but there are limits for share links that you give to others to download your files. Basic accounts have a 20GB daily bandwidth limit, and paid accounts (Plus, Professional, etc.) have a 200GB daily bandwidth limit.

CPU and memory usage will vary from system to system. There's no way to tell you what the usage will be. I can tell you that on my system Dropbox averages less than 100MB or memory and minimal CPU time.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution
File size is only limited by the amount of space available in your account. When using the Dropbox client, files of any size can be uploaded provided you have enough space in your account. If uploading through the website, there's a 20GB file size limit, though the larger the file the more problematic it is.

There are no bandwidth limits for uploading or downloading your own files, but there are limits for share links that you give to others to download your files. Basic accounts have a 20GB daily bandwidth limit, and paid accounts (Plus, Professional, etc.) have a 200GB daily bandwidth limit.

CPU and memory usage will vary from system to system. There's no way to tell you what the usage will be. I can tell you that on my system Dropbox averages less than 100MB or memory and minimal CPU time.

James C.87
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Bandwidth refer to the capacity of a channel, not the total flow. Where a daily limit is described in GB transferred, it is a data transfer limit. A low bandwidth (3 Mbps) channel might never reach a daily transfer limit. One or more high bandwidth (100 Mbps) channels might reach a daily transfer limit in a very short time.

To be mildly pedantic:

bits/second describes bandwidth

GB transferred per day describes the total data moved in a day

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

Yes, I know, but in the way it has been described by Dropbox, both on these forums and within their own help articles, it's a daily bandwidth limit; not a transfer limit. For the sake of keeping the verbage the same, on these forums, I describe it as such.

Your average user that's asking about such limits isn't going to recognize the difference.

James C.87
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

So, if Walter Cronkite pronouces "nuclear" as "new cue lar", then we all should. I guess I will stick to "new clee ar". 

I understand your motivation, but I really don't like reinforcing sloppy usage. Too many years as an engineer, I expect. (Knots, MPH -- who cares as long as the boat does not sink.)

But then, Runyanesque present tense used by newscasters reporting past events also irks me. Maybe I'm a little bit CDO* and certainly not an "average user".

* OCD as described by those afflicted.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

The only response I have is that if you feel the need to play Internet Police on a topic that's nearly a year old, next time, look more closely at your own replies before hitting that Reply button. I'll leave you to find the error. Considering you were able to find my use of "bandwidth" on a post that was buried, it should be easy for you to spot.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    James C.87 Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?