cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to hear from you on accessibility tools and features for Dropbox - get involved in the conversation here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: New Zip File Behavior?

Is there a way to choose whether .zip files are previewing on the Dropbox website?

Justin P.2
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution

I'm a long time Dropbox user and today I went to check if some older links were still active that I had sent to a cleint. 

Most of the files are send out are zipped for various reasons. 

It seems that Dropbox will now unzip zipped files in the web browser so the end user can see what's in the zipped file.

Is this true? Is there a way to turn it off? One specfic workflow I use reqiires the zip file to remain zipped and could cause issues if the user has access to an unzipped version, especially on Dropbox.

72 Replies 72

Justin P.2
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution

For the love of god @druidbox 

Please fix this STUPID "FEATURE" that lets people see inside zip files.

I'm tired of getting emails like this:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/p45bgaljehyr4ei/screen%20shot%202019-07-29%20at%201.55.33%20pm.png?dl=0

Justin P.2
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution

Justin P.2
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution

ANOTHER CLIENT TODAY CONFUSED ABOUT HOW THEY CAN NAVIGATE INSIDE A ZIP FILE BUT CAN'T DOWNLOAD ONE OF THE FILES INSIDE.

PLEASE FIX THIS **bleep** ASAP.

Justin P.2
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution

On the flipside. Before this new behavior, a client never once said:

I wish I could see inside this zip file without the abiltiy to download or preview one of the files inside.

Justin P.2
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution

Is there ANY news on this? This new behavior has made using zip files pointless because clients just click inside the zip file on the Dropbox site and get lost and confused, ALL THE **bleep**ING TIME.

Please come up with a professional solution to this amateur mistake.

morganw951
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I've been following this with great anticipation also, hoping to avoid having to switch our company to competitor's service. Have you had any response from Dropbox support on the topic? I haven't seen any and it appears they have no intention to help being that they still believe the online zip contents navigation is somehow a feature and not a disaster. I saw their posted response about changing the last digit of a download link from 0 to a 1 before it's shared as a workaround but by default, dropbox links should always trigger a direct download of a zip archive. If they would just swap the function of the last digit in the links so that by default, all links end in 1, it'd solve this mistake and yet still leave the 0 option for those that want link recipients to have zip content navigation. I can't believe they would be the majority and those wanting direct download links by default are in the minority.

Justin P.2
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution

Hi morganw951,

You are preaching to the choir here 🙂

I've seen or heard no action on this disaster other than "we'll pass this on to our developers blah blah blah".

Not only is this a useless feature, it causes many headaches, or at least way more headaches than in solves.

If Dropbox wasn't great in many other ways I'd have left a long time ago but I'm going to give them a few weeks yet to solve this before migrating to another service.

Justin P.2
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution

I'm already in a bad mood today so excuse the foul language but come the **bleep** on Dropbox.

I'm tired of these messages from cleints that are confused by your dumb ass idea of letting people see inside a zip file, AND hiding the download button way in the top right corner where nobody can see it.

PEOPLE DON'T READ **bleep**, YOU NEED TO MAKE IT COMPLETLY IDIOT PROOF

:Screen Shot 2019-08-22 at 12.49.17 PM.png

Danny Wyatt
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I don't even know why this is a discussion, to be honest...

If people want their users to see what's inside a ZIP file... well... just send them a folder, as it has been for years, right? 😉 Why would you ZIP a file if you want them to see what's inside before downloading it?

The fact that anyone at Dropbox listened to this request and though this was a "great" feature and actually spent time working on it, confirms what I always say: there's always DUMB people at every company... 

I don't even think that having this as an option that you can turn on or off makes any sense. As I said, if you want someone to see what's inside, just create a folder and share that link. What's the point of zipping it?!

And then I "love" how all companies have this script (marketing strategies): "we appreciate your feedback and we try to make our product better because of you, blah blah blah, and I will pass this on to our developers".

So do you REALLY listen to your users?? Those who have been companing for a year or so and you haven't changed it? Do you REALLY care, Dropbox? Come on... We are all people and maybe you can fool a few people, but not all of us. 

This is the reason some companies fail and one day no one gives s **bleep**. Look at MySpace. Look at how even Facebook started losing popularity. They don't really listen to their users. I started using Google Drive more and more, because it just works. Plus I have Google Docs, Google, Sheets, etc. I used to be a Dropbox hardcore fan in the beginning, up until 2-3 years ago. Then I just stopped, because it brings nothing new to the table.

Guys, if you truly want to make an impact on companies that disrespect your opinion, change TODAY to an alternative. Show them that they are not in control. WE are! Not happy with Dropbox? Change to Google Drive, MediaFire, etc...

I'm just tired of companies making stupid changes to their products and then saying they care about the users. Really am!!! [profanity removed as per Community Guidelinesthem!

Justin P.2
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution

It's just getting worse!

Now when you click on a link to a zip file, it doesn't even say "Download" in the top right. WTF?!?!

It just says "Open With" and then one of then options is Download.

Open with Download?

Seriously @druidbox Do you not want people to actually download the files they are sent a link to?

What are you guys smoking over there?

Need more support?