cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to hear from you on accessibility tools and features for Dropbox - get involved in the conversation here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to choose whether .zip files are previewing on the Dropbox website?

Is there a way to choose whether .zip files are previewing on the Dropbox website?

Justin P.2
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution

I'm a long time Dropbox user and today I went to check if some older links were still active that I had sent to a cleint. 

Most of the files are send out are zipped for various reasons. 

It seems that Dropbox will now unzip zipped files in the web browser so the end user can see what's in the zipped file.

Is this true? Is there a way to turn it off? One specfic workflow I use reqiires the zip file to remain zipped and could cause issues if the user has access to an unzipped version, especially on Dropbox.

72 Replies 72

Justin P.2
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution

Hi Jane, Thanks for checking back in.

I can tell you right now that the two options you suggested are not practical, especially when dealing with a high number of zip files every day.

Here is the only reasonsble solution:

1) We generate a link directly to the zip file by right clicking on it in the Mac Finder (or from the website if the user prefers).

2) We email the link to the client

3) When the cleint clicks the link it takes them to a page with a BIG downlaod button that they can't miss. Nothign else. Just a simple way to downlaod the file, like the old days.

4) The page does not tempt them to click inside the zip file and get lost/confusued about how to downlaod or use the file.

5) If anybody needs to see inside the zip file for some reason, this shoud be something that needs to be puposely done in a menu or something that isn't going to lead to confusion for the average person who just wants to download and use the file. 

pasamio
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

This behaviour is really annoying when using Dropbox to share macOS application bundles. The folder listing used to let you just click the link to download the application zip file but now it's extra work to download the application. If you click you end up getting to a place that isn't really useful.

When this change was rolled out, it confused me for a while what was going wrong. I clicked on the link and it gave me the folder...how do I download this thing? Oh, I have to go to a UI element on the far right, click on it and then click "Download" to download the file.

What would I say my main use case for Dropbox here is? Sharing files so that others can download them. If I wanted to extract the ZIP then presumably I could have done this and had that sync'd up to Dropbox. However with this new workflow the one thing that Dropbox should be good at, letting folk download files, is now hidden under a menu.

Justin P.2
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution

Exactly! Whoever thought it was a good idea to let users see inside the zip easily and by defailt clearly doesn't do any real-world work with clients of all computer skill levels.

If we send a zip, we need it to be simple and clear on how to download the zip.

Now, people just click away and end up inside the zip and get all confused. It's a really bad idea.

olebole
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I totally agree with you guys. I send a lot of zip-files. And after this change, there has been a lot of trouble with clients getting confused about the contents of the zip-files.

Please fix it back Dropbox. If I wanted people to see all the files and cherry pick, I would not have sent them an zip-file.

Justin P.2
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution

Thanks for your reply olebole. That is precisely my experience and feeling. The new default handling of zip files is not professional in any way.

Dropbox seems to be tone-deaf on this concept though.

Justin P.2
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution

OK. I'm going to start out with a positive comment. The recently refreshed Dropbox sync app looks nice. I like it better.

OK, now sorry for the profanity but for the love of god, please fix the goddamn issue here.

I am still getting clients that think they "can't do anything" with the zip file I link them to becuase the download button is hiding way in the top right corner and it's far easier to accidentally and uselessly start navigating into the zip file.

I just paid $720 goddamn dollars for 3 Dropbox Business licences even though I'm a one person business and only need one licnese, but your pricing scam doesn't allow for a 1 person business to purchase just 1 license.

I zip folders for techincal reasons, not to save space or to complciate matters. Some of the folders I sent NEED to be zipped to prevent corruption.

This is Dropbox Business, not Dropbox Amatuer. Please fix this **bleep**.

Justin P.2
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution

For the love of god, please fix this stupid behavior. I just got another lovely email from a client because Dropbox stupidly lets you see inside zip files:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/syfvrjlcljnupu1/Screen%20Shot%202019-07-16%20at%208.01.24%20PM.png?dl=0

morganw951
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Sadly, despite all the complaints (my own outrage included), Dropbox still thinks this is actually a feature and not a disaster. It appears from their brief responses that they have no intention to correct it. We are evaluating alternatives to abandon dropbox for a large global company because of this rediculous issue and the problems it is causing.

Dumbbox
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

How is this useful? A link to a zip file should just be a download. Opening the zip file in the interface but not allowing the contents to be downloaded or viewed is as dumb as a bag of hammers.

Please make this work the way it used to. Does anyone at Dropbox actually use the service? Sheesh.

Justin P.2
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution

Thanks for your feedback guys. I can't believe this is still like this.

If anybody truly thinks this is a good idea or nessecary then maybe a smaller and more hidden button can be used to navigate inside the zip file.

But, it should not be first thing clients are tempated to do which it is now.

If I send a link to a zip file I want one thing, and one thing only to happen and that is for the client to see a HUGE downlaod button front and center which they click on, and the zip file downloads.

There is ZERO value IMO allowing cleints to navigate inside a zip file and then get confused about how to download it which they can't unless going back to the first page.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Justin P.2 Collaborator | Level 10
    James D.1 New member | Level 2
    pasamio New member | Level 2
    Matthew J.10 Explorer | Level 4
    Dumbbox Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?