cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out how our Community members are using Dropbox here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to disable the sync icon overlays in Explorer?

Highlighted

Is there a way to disable the sync icon overlays in Explorer?

Explorer | Level 4

About 3 or 4 years ago I installed Dropbox (on Windows 7) and I soon realised there was an incompatibility with TortoiseGit - basically TGit's green + red overlay icons (for folders and files) no longer worked and I ended up having to uninstall Dropbox. IIRC it was all due to a Windows resource called 'ShellOverlayIconIdentifiers' which allows apps to overlay a small icon on top of the normal file+folder icons (in Windows Explorer). Only a small number of overlay icons are permitted - and between Dropbox and TortoiseGit they were exceeding the limit (so TortoiseGit's icons ended up getting removed by Windows). I'd like to give Dropbox another try but I just wondered if this issue ever got solved? I don't mind not seeing Dropbox's overlays but I really do need the ones from TortoiseGit. If I was to re-install Dropbox, is there maybe a setting now that'll allow me to turn off Dropbox's overlay icons (so that I can carry on using Dropbox without it interfering with TortoiseGit??)

5 Replies 5
Highlighted

Re: Is there a way to disable the sync icon overlays in Explorer?

Super User II
Super User II

@johne53 wrote:

... is there maybe a setting now that'll allow me to turn off Dropbox's overlay icons

No, there isn't. Dropbox has no such feature.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4
Okay Rich and thanks for replying so promptly.
Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

Hello! I've created question with the same topic and once it gets enough likes it has a chance to become a feature request.

Like it please so we could win this battle https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-ideas/Add-option-to-disable-icon-overlays-in-Windows-Explore...

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4
I just tried to follow your link but it comes up as Error 404
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @johne53; how are you today?

I'm sorry to jump in; but here's the correct link for the relevant feature request:

I hope this helps and see you around the Community!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?