Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Is there a way to have the desktop app only upload, like Google Drive?

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hi, Is there a way to make Dropbox work in the same way as Idrive or Google Drive does?

For example, I dont have a large amount of space on my hard drive, but want to use Dropbox, but it seems I can only upload files on the application if I sync it totally.  So for example, I have files from various usb sticks ect, but I want to get them into one location on Dropbox, but it seems I cannot set dropbox to be an active external location only... I dont want to sync to my PC at all, I just want to drag files to it and they upload to the dropbox server.

The only other way is to turn off the sync and just upload via the web browser, which takes forever...

Any help would be great.

Thanks.

3 Replies 3
Highlighted

Re: PC APPLICATION - NOT TO SYNC BUT UPLOAD (LIKE GOOGLE & IDRIVE)

Super Collaborator | Level 20

Hi @IXL,

Unfortunately, Dropbox application doesn't work in such a way. There isn't an option currently to turn sync process off. Would be fine such feature be added some day. Most similar feature available currently is "Smart Sync". If this feature doesn't cover your needs, go to some other service, like cyted from you above or pCloud, for example.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hi Thanks for your reply.

I do apprecaite it.

Its a shame Dropbox doesnt work the way I thought it would do.  I'll have a look at other services available.  Maybe it should be called Syncbox instead

At least I know for sure now thank you.

I just wondered if there was some other way of doing this other than explained, the browser option is fine, but its too slow. 

Highlighted

Super Collaborator | Level 20

I haven't used any alternatives but there are some third party applications. You can check these applications or create your own application ( if you can code ), covering your needs exactly.

Good luck.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?