cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to make our Community work for you and we need your help. Take our short survey!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DROPBOX DELETED MY SON! Please give me back what you deleted!

Highlighted

Is there a way to recover my files from an inactive (for more than a year) account?

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I logged into my dropbox account after more than a year of letting it sit idle. I didn't realize that could cause problems! When I logged in last week, all my filies with my pictures gone .  Is there a way to recover the files?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: All my files gone

Super User II
Super User II

You'll most likely be unable to recover any files, especially after more than a year.

Accounts that are inactive for more than a year are subject to deletion. When an account or the files within it are deleted due to inactivity, they cannot be recovered.

You can try contacting Support directly, but they may not be able to assist you.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7
Highlighted

Re: All my files gone

Super User II
Super User II

You'll most likely be unable to recover any files, especially after more than a year.

Accounts that are inactive for more than a year are subject to deletion. When an account or the files within it are deleted due to inactivity, they cannot be recovered.

You can try contacting Support directly, but they may not be able to assist you.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

DROPBOX DELETED MY SON! Please give me back what you deleted!

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

My dropbox account was deleted and I desperately need it all back. Please someone help. I had several pictures of me and my son at the park when I had just graduated boot camp! I never imagined losing those photos. I uploaded them in what I thought was a secure place, I was never made aware that dropbox would take it upon themselves to throw them away.

Highlighted

Re: DROPBOX DELETED MY SON! Please give me back what you deleted!

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hello there @Marthiljohni, I'm sorry to hear about this!

So that I can have a better understanding of what exactly happened here, can you let me know a bit more info on this?

For example, was the account deleted by mistake or was the account inactive for a long period of time? In the latter case, did you receive an email that the account has already been closed?

Any other info you believe is relevant, please let me know and we'll go from there.

Thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I have been using dropbox for a few years and has been a paid customer, I tried to log in to my account yesterday and found out all my files are gone and my profile has become a new member with the basic 2G space. I desperately need help because all my family photos for the past 7 years and my work files are all saved there.

I wasnt even able to access to support and talk with a real person to get this resolved. Please advice ASAP.

Teresa

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi there @TEYREYSAY, thanks for joining us here!

Could you just clarify for me, when was the last time that you accessed your paid account? Is it possible that you may have mistakenly created a new account under another email instead?

If you have the transaction IDs for the charges that were made for your Dropbox account, can you try using our lookup tool here to check the email linked with the account?

Keep me posted!

Daphne

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Re: I want to recover my account deleted 1 year ago

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2
Actually i m trying to login to my account but it is sending an code to my mail. Which I was not using currently so please can u help me in recovering my old account
Highlighted

Re: I want to recover my account deleted 1 year ago

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @Prashanthsaaho, thanks for reaching out to us. 

I moved your post under this thread where other users have expressed a similar concern. 

Have a look at what is suggested and let me know if you have any other questions. 

Thanks!

PS. Since you mention that you were receiving a code to your email, it could be our one time security code. 

Have a look at this article which talks more about this and let us know how it goes. Thanks!

Lusil

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Need more support?