cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Upload files to dropbox by e-mail

Is there a way to upload files to Dropbox via email directly?

lk1701
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hello everybody,
I hope you can help me.

Is there a way (trick, app, function) how I can upload files to my Dropbox via email? So I want to send an email with a file attachment to my Dropbox and the attachment should then be saved in the Dropbox.

Thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@lk1701 wrote:

Is there a way (trick, app, function) how I can upload files to my Dropbox via email?

Dropbox has no such function, but there are a couple third-party services that can accomplish that. Do a Google search for "email files to Dropbox" and you'll find them.

[Moderator edit: This is now possible via the Email to Dropbox feature.]

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@lk1701 wrote:

Is there a way (trick, app, function) how I can upload files to my Dropbox via email?

Dropbox has no such function, but there are a couple third-party services that can accomplish that. Do a Google search for "email files to Dropbox" and you'll find them.

[Moderator edit: This is now possible via the Email to Dropbox feature.]

lk1701
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thank you! Thats what I searched for.

halmaclean
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I know this subject has been asked before, but it is a definite requirement for lots of folks. If we rely on third party apps there is a risk they stop working and we lose the functionality. If it is built into dropbox, we at least have the reassurance it is going to remain active as long as Dropbox is running.

For me, it's a super useful feature - we send out reports to clients and often these are scheduled. I want my clients to have the reports saved for future reference in a reliable storage system like Dropbox. We automate the emails we send from within the app we use, and it would be ideal to simply add a BCC address (or some kind of tag in the subject line) to a Gmail account (or other online service) which is then processed by a dropbox script to extract file attachments and save them in a DB folder. Can't be too hard to do... surely?

Box.net create a 'folder email address', and all you need to do is add that email address to your outgoing email so it lands in the right folder. Perfect. I'm pretty sure the clever folk at Dropbox could do the same thing. Maybe even make it available for paid plans? It would be so useful!

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there @halmaclean, just dropping in here!

While this isn't currently a feature, I can suggest posting this in our dedicated area of the Community here, as a request for this to be added.

That area allows others to browse the suggestions made by others and show their support by upvoting.

Hope this helps to some extent!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

dimcguy
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I have to agree that sending emails to save in Dropbox is a missed opportunity and recognition of user requirements. For instance, there may be precious emails from family or friends I want to save. There could be emails for thank yous, recognition, helpful information, team pictures, medical information - actually the reasons are limitless. Having terabyte storage and not being able to maximize paying for this space is a disappointment and shortsighted. If anyone should find a safe alternative to get them in Dropbox please let me know. Also, not everyone uses just a computer. So drag and drop is not an option on iPad.

gumislaw
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi,

I see that email to dropbox feature is on and working!

I want to set up filter in ggmail to automatically foreward emails with attachement to @addtrodrobox adress but google needs email code veryfication, but there is nothing like opening @addtodrobox adress to open the gmail veryfication email or there is ?

Chogooi49
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I would also find this very useful. Info in received emails should be able to directly be forwarded to my Dropbox account to a “email” general and then I can go in and put them in a specific folder.  Currently I am using Evernote for this but would like all my “stuff” in together.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Chogooi49 wrote:

I would also find this very useful. Info in received emails should be able to directly be forwarded to my Dropbox account to a “email” general and then I can go in and put them in a specific folder.

At the time this thread was created, no such feature existed within Dropbox. That is no longer the case.

Need more support?