cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Ross uses Dropbox to answer some new house questions here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there any way to tell what Dropbox is working on?

Is there any way to tell what Dropbox is working on?

raffishtenant
Explorer | Level 4

Arrgh. So I have this desktop machine that is literally on its last legs. I'm still trying to determine whether it's a software or hardware problem, either of which would be fairly unexpected at this point, but at the very least it needs to be completely reinstalled (and the local backup most likely ditched as well). The only thing that's waiting on is a Dropbox sync, which apparently involves over 600 files in the upload queue, down from ~900 a day ago and decreasing at the rate of about one every five minutes. But (a) I have no idea based on my recent activity why there would be that many unsynced files or which ones they would be, and (b) it's obviously taking forever, for which I don't blame Dropbox: I'm pretty sure my filesystem is just massively hosed, and the reason I think that is that I've already considered simply making a new local backup of my entire Dropbox folder, but that too is taking literally hours per folder, even with rsync.

TLDR: Is there by any chance a way to get Dropbox to show me what files it thinks it needs to upload, or to generate some sort of diff, so that I can determine whether it's worth waiting and/or trying to back them up, or if I can just write them off and reinstall and get on with my life?

3 Replies 3

Re: Is there any way to tell what Dropbox is working on?

Walter
Dropboxer
Hey @raffishtenant, welcome aboard and happy Monday!

To make sure we're on the same page, could you send me a screenshot of the app's exact status as shown in your menu bar/system tray?

While we're at it, have you tried adjusting your bandwidth/network settings through the app's preferences to see if that improves matters?

Keep me posted!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

raffishtenant
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Walter,

Thanks very much for the response! The latest development is that this hard drive was indeed failing, and the machine is now in the shop for repair, so I can't oblige with a screenshot...but presumably things will be a lot faster once it's back. It still seems like it would be useful on occasion to see what's in the queue—is the local Dropbox database viewable with some tool, I wonder?—but it's no longer quite as pressing for me. 🙂

Lori
Dropboxer
Hi there @raffishtenant, I hope you're doing well! 

At the moment, you won't be able to check for the precise files that sync when using the Dropbox desktop application. 

However, we keep an eye out for feature requests, especially as good as this one. You might want to share your idea with us here

If you need anything else, we're always one post away.

Lori
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Lori Dropboxer
    raffishtenant Explorer | Level 4
    Walter Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?