cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know all about tools for creatives that work seamlessly with Dropbox, like Adobe? Well, check it out right here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there any way to track shared files?

Is there any way to track shared files?

PerryM
New member | Level 2

Is there any tool in Dropbox that an administrator can use to see who has access to what files/folders?  I would like to see a list of all users (preferably their email addresses) who have share access and to which files or folders they have access.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Track shared files

Lusil
Dropboxer
Hey @PerryM, thanks for posting your question on the Forum!

On one hand, you could manually go to each shared folder and see who has access to each shared folder. On the other hand, an admin has access to the admin console, where they can view team activity and monitor team sharing activity, among others through the activity tab. If you’re referring to team folders, they can be managed from the admin console too.

Hope this helps! :upside_down:

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Lusil
Dropboxer
Hey @PerryM, thanks for posting your question on the Forum!

On one hand, you could manually go to each shared folder and see who has access to each shared folder. On the other hand, an admin has access to the admin console, where they can view team activity and monitor team sharing activity, among others through the activity tab. If you’re referring to team folders, they can be managed from the admin console too.

Hope this helps! :upside_down:

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

JacobRusso
Helpful | Level 6

This feature was apparently added to the "Business" subscription level.   It has been requested MULTIPLE TIMES... going back to at least 2015...  There are MULTIPLE requests on this forum for pretty much the same thing.  As I said, I find it rather sad that a company with such amazing people... with the brains and capability... have not addressed such an important issue.

We are NOT Sharing "CREDENTIALS".  We are sharing FILES, FOLDERS, and LINKS with other Dropbox users, EACH with their OWN accounts... and LINKS with possibly Non-Dropbox users.  This is ALL well within Dropbox allowed use.

The problem is that the ONLY way to see WHO we have shared FILES, FOLDERS or LINKS with is to check each FILE or FOLDER individually.

THIS is a MAJOR pain.   For example, 12 years ago, YES, we've been using Dropbox that long, I had shared some FILES and FOLDERS with my Ex-Wife and with my Attorney.  Well, guess what, I don't want EITHER of them to have access to those documents or folders.  But, since these were NOT all in the same folder, it took me four hours to hunt these down.

I am sure that there are many more, like this, that I have made available to others over the years.  I would like to know who I have shared files and/or folders with... and likewise... who has shared files and folders with me.

Best regards,

Jacob

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

JacobRusso Helpful | Level 6
    Lusil Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?