cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know more about how Community ideas impact Dropbox development? Check it out here

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this shared file a scam?

Is this shared file a scam?

Ray16
New member | Level 2

Just received an email titled - Australian Small Business & Jobkeeper Payment (ato.gov.au) sent you "COVID-19-Payout.PDF - with a PDF attachment. Is this a scam?

7 Replies 7

Re: Possible scam?

Jay
Dropboxer

Hi @Ray16, thanks for posting on the Community!

I'm sorry to hear about this. If you don't know who this person is, then there is always a possibility that the file could be malware.

If you're not sure, since it is a shared file, you can remove your access to it from this page. This will remove the notification from the system.

Hope this helps!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

deep64blue
Helpful | Level 5

Sure sounds like a scam!

jeffers
Explorer | Level 4

Huge thanks Jay - the link you offered, took me to just the right place - the scam file was there and I could remove it. 

I should have checked with my mate before trying to open his shared file but seemed legit. Am hoping my click throughs and password info didn't reach the a**holes

Rich
Super User II

@jeffers wrote:

Am hoping my click throughs and password info didn't reach the a**holes

If, after clicking any link in a suspicious email, you entered your credentials, change them immediately. It's very easy for people to make very real looking but fake websites that trick you into signing in to an account. Don't take the chance. Change your password and even better, enable two-step authentication.

jeffers
Explorer | Level 4
Thanks Rich.
Did change my password.
I think the red warning page I got worked as intended defence as well.
How do I do 2 step authentication on dropbox and will it be the same step on each device? Phone & pc & laptop? Cheers

Rich
Super User II

@jeffers wrote:
How do I do 2 step authentication on dropbox and will it be the same step on each device? Phone & pc & laptop? Cheers

Refer to the following help articles, paying particular attention to the second one which will show you what would be required to gain access to your account should you not be able to complete the two-step process (lost phone, etc.).

jeffers
Explorer | Level 4
Thanks. Will check it out.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

jeffers Explorer | Level 4
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?