cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue with Excel - "Excel file format is not valid"

Issue with Excel - "Excel file format is not valid"

flew
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Excel file format is not valid.  Please help as unable to open Excel.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Brandos
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I think I found the solution.

If you disable the office dropbox add-in the problem doesn't seem to occur anymore. You can still save to dropbox via file explorer making it redundant anyhow.

to do this, open excel, go under file, Choose "Options", and navigate to "add-ins".

From there locate the Dropbox Add-in and right click, select "disable".

Should stop it from being an issue.

View solution in original post

20 Replies 20

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution
You need to provide more information about the problem you're having. Are you opening Excel files from the Dropbox folder on your desktop, or the Dropbox website? Does the problem only occur with files in your Dropbox folder, or elsewhere on your computer as well? Have you dragged one of the problem files out of your Dropbox to your desktop and tried to open it from there? Mac or PC? Office version? etc.

flew
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I am trying to open Excel from both but neither are opening.  Desktop error says "file format is not valid".  I edited the document on 2 September with no issues.

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @flew

Hmmm... Mere guess here, since I've encountered the same error in the past. 

If it's an .xls file, you'll probably need to modify (:repair) the file extension to .xslx. If you run a google-search, you'll easily find some articles that will walk you through the process as well. 

If this persists, would you mind including a screenshot (omitting personal info) of what you're seeing in your next post here, so that I check it with you? 

Thanks! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Brandos
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

After checking throughally it seems when this is done in Excel 2016, it saves as a CSV format but with a .xlsx file extension. Making Excel think it's corrupted when it's just under the wrong file extension. Seems to be an issue exclusively with using the dropbox saving function in office.

Can someone else test this out? I am unsure why this is happening this way. The workaround is simple, save locally instead of with dropbox. But feels like a bug someone should be made aware of.

Brandos
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Try renaming to .csv and doing save as outside of Dropbox. Currently dealing with an identical issue and found it was still in it's original format when used the dropbox saving function in office 2016. Making it seem corrupted when it was just something in the process changes the file extension but not the actual format.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

Brandos wrote:

it saves as a CSV format but with a .xlsx file extension

I'm seeing the opposite. When I do a Save As, specify Dropbox as the location and select CSV as the file type, it's saving the file in the XLSX format with a .csv file extension. Saving to the Dropbox folder directly, without using the Save to Dropbox functionality, the file is saved correctly.

Brandos
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

So it seems it's a problem with the save as function in general in excel not just any particular file format. The function of doing a save as to a different format is not working correctly when saving to dropbox.

Wish we could get some support members to look at this and give us an idea on why this is happening and what fix there is if any.

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Merging several posts with the same description. 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Brandos
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Do we have any new information on this issue. I don't see any solutions being presented. All I have is workarounds.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

amara21 Explorer | Level 3
    Jane Dropbox Staff
    lbarry New member | Level 2
    Walter Dropbox Staff
    Tombromgrove New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?