cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn more about how Connie, a member of the Community, uses Dropbox here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue with sync - changes are saved to the website from one computer, but aren't synced to the other

Issue with sync - changes are saved to the website from one computer, but aren't synced to the other

neilBar
Explorer | Level 3

Hi all, 
I hope you can help
I use Dropbox to sync my 1Password "vault" [which it does automatically] as well as lots of other stuff.

It's a great service and super useful

For years this has worked great but now I notice last 5 days that updating an item in 1Password does not update that item on the other mac. 
It happens when an item is updated on either Mac. 
I'm sure it's nothing to do with 1Password because

1: I've not updated it recently and

2: it IS syncing to the local dropbox folder.

Here's what happens:
:MAC 1 LOCAL DROPBOX FOLDER:
When I update an item in 1Password on mac 1 the 1P vault is synced to the local copy in the local dropbox folder on mac 1 - I can see the altered modified date on the local file - good.
:ONLINE DROPBOX FOLDER:
This same 1P vault file is also updated in the online dropbox folder (modification dates match)- good
:MAC 2 LOCAL DROPBOX FOLDER:
BUT on Mac 2 the updated vault FILE online IS never synced to the local folder - not good
Yes, the mac is connected to the Internet.

Same in either direction.

Summary:
Changing the local dropbox folder prompts a change to the online version.
BUT
A change to the online version (made by another machine) does not prompt a sync to the local folder - on either mac

Neither Mac syncs the local dropbox version when the altered file is online. 
Bith Macs sync to the online dropbox version when the altered file is locally. 

Syncing changes from 1Password on either mac to 1Password  on my iPhone works fine. The phone sync uses Dropbox too.

I hope that makes sense
Anyone throw any light please?

thanks

4 Replies 4

Re: Issue with sync - changes are saved to the website from one computer, but aren't synced to th...

Daphne
Dropboxer
Hello there @neilBar, I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble with this!

It sounds like there is a syncing issue with the second device (Mac 2 in the example).

Since the updates are syncing to your account online, syncing seems to be working fine on the first computer.

On Mac 2, can you let me know what the sync status of the app is showing at the moment, and what version of the app is installed?

Keep me posted with your findings!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Re: Issue with sync - changes are saved to the website from one computer, but aren't synced to th...

neilBar
Explorer | Level 3
Hi Daphne,
Thanks so much for your help and for tagging me so I knew to go to the forum for an update. 
Version 115.4.601

Sync from Dropbox online to Dropbox local actually fails in both directions with this 1password .opvault package/file
So, if I update on mac 2 the online version is updated but not the local on mac 1  
AND if I update on mac 1 the online version is updated but not the local on mac 2  
AND if `I update on my iPhone the online version is updated but not the local versions on the macs

Working on my Macbook right now.
I updated a note in 1Password app on my iPhone (which also uses dropbox sync) and I see that the online vault file shows the correct modification date [that’s on the 'band_F.js' file is inside the '1Password.opvault' folder, online the folder shows no mod date]
see below
Screen Shot 2021-02-08 at 11.04.39.jpg

looking at the online folder I can open the vault "package" to see the actual file mod date
- on the mac I can't simply open that package because it just opens the app
here's whats shown in the online folder:
Screen Shot 2021-02-08 at 10.33.19.jpg

But in the dropbox folder on my macbook I see this indicating the the local package was only updated yesterday:
Screen Shot 2021-02-08 at 10.36.09.jpg

IF I open the local dropbox folder via the finder and go to "view package contents" I see that the 'band_F.js' file we saw earlier online IS there inside and it does have the correct modification date - but as you can see above Dropbox is not updating the modification date on the .opvault package - I think that's the issue!

I am guessing that, if, when Dropbox correctly updates the local package contents, but the actual package mod. date isn't updated, then my 1password app doesn’t detect the update.

Here is what's inside the local 1Password.opvault package , it has the correct mod date 

Screen Shot 2021-02-08 at 10.48.36.jpg

Next I make a modification [at 10:53] in 1Password on the MacBook and the local 1Password.opvault package modification date IS immediately updated
see below please
 Screen Shot 2021-02-08 at 10.53.30.jpg

The fault seems to be that Dropbox isn't updating the package mod date when it updates the contents when copying from online TO local 

I hope I explained that well !!
Thanks so much for any suggestions you. may be able to make

This was all working totally 100% using Dropbox sync until maybe 8 days ago. 
1Password don't offer support on Dropbox sync
- they suggest switching to iCloud but I don't want to do that as iCloud has issues. 

Regards, Neil [personal info removed as per Community Guidelines]

neilBar
Explorer | Level 3

Oh,

BTW,

I see you use Khouros forum SW,

did you know that if a user has 'Grammarly' active it locks out the "text resize by dragging lower right corner" action? 

Screen Shot 2021-02-08 at 11.14.38.jpg

when I see the above, the 'resize' action is disabled.

Neil

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @neilBar, as the package file is technically a folder, there wouldn't be any modification dates on the Dropbox site for the folder itself, only the files within.

According to what you're saying, the files inside on both machine are updated correctly, so the Dropbox desktop application is syncing the files correctly.

Does 1Password only update is the opvault modification date is updated, or when the files inside that folder are changed? I'd recommend checking with them directly on this matter, since the Dropbox app does seem to be syncing the files.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Poll
Which Dropbox integrations are you using while working from home?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?