cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues editing Word documents with Dropbox

Issues editing Word documents with Dropbox

megx
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi 

I have for ages had the practice of going outdoors and editing word documents stored in dropbox on my phone or tablet with Microsoft Word app

This has always worked like a dream, any changes would be automatically saved with no error messages and synced to all devices.

Now I am getting error messages about "changes made by other user, your file can't be saved"  or "can't upload file" sometimes AFTER I've done a stack of work in that file, so all those edits are lost.  Or the file will open "read only" !

It seems I have to save a new version with a new name every time I open a file on my phone before I can be sure it will do edits without some drama or other.

Dropbox folder on my computer is working perfectly.

This is driving me insane as  I do this work every day, and had no issue til now. 

Any ideas?

64 Replies 64

bwoj
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I updated both Word and Dropbox apps and the problem went away.

MickeNy
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I have been struggling with this problem since early 2018 where Word for iPad give me an error message in the middle of editing a document stored on Dropbox. "Can't upload - Something's wrong and your changes can't be uploaded."

The document is originally created on my Word for iPad. The latest occurence was a couple of day ago when I first created a copy of my document and the continued editing the copy. After a few edits the error appears. The walk-around is to save the document on iPad and edit it there and then later move it to dropbox. But that's not a long-term way to work, is it!

The environment I work with is:

iPad 4 running iOS 10.3.3 (which is the highest supported one)

Word for iPad - the free version which automatically is updated now on 2.11.1

Dropbox - the basic level also automatically updated and now on 86.2.2

If screenshots help let me know and I provide them and any other information needed.

I have the original document available and it has no secrets in it and I can gladly share it should that be required. The text is in Finnish so it may be hard to understand, but that is surely not the purpose.

megx
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
I ditched MICROSOFT OFFICE app and use WPS app to edit all my dropbox docs on phone and tablet it's the best i love it!!

MickeNy
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thank's for your suggestion. I had a look at it and find that my iPad 4 with iOS 10.3.3 is not supported on it (anymore).

GloriP
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Yes, I have done it all, and still messed uo

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

GloriP Helpful | Level 5
    MickeNy Explorer | Level 4
    megx New member | Level 2
    bwoj New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?