Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues with uploading photos from windows

foxandivoryhelp New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hope everyone can help, I've been having issues with uploading photos. I have the desktop app on my computer and everything time i upload photos they don't stay online sync'd, i will upload them through local and it messes everything up. I have to upload in small chucks,  switched them to online and wait for it to clear and and then upload them again. I can't upload photos from a whole event without going through this process. I know other people i work with that don't have this issue so i don't know what to do here. 

3 Replies 3

Re: Issues with uploading photos from windows

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey there @foxandivoryhelp,

When you're uploading files via the desktop app, they will be local on the computer until they finish syncing. Then you can then change them to be "online only" with smart sync, or selective sync (whichever method you're using). This is the expected behaviour as the files need to be locally in the Dropbox folder to be uploaded to your account.

However, can I ask you to clarify what you referred to when you mentioned:

I have to upload in small chucks,  switched them to online and wait for it to clear and and then upload them again.

What action are you performing to "upload them again"? Are you referring to uploading another chunk of files?

Also, can you let me know if the photos that you're uploading are from a mobile device or a camera/SD card?

Let me know and we can go from there - thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

foxandivoryhelp New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Ok so i am actually trying to fix this issue for my coworker. i asked her to clarfy on things
So yes uploading another chuck of files. 
She is uploading from a external hardrive that the dropbox is on. 

i asked her to clarfiy what she meant about switching it and this was what she said. 

"I'll set the folder to online sync.......but they still sync local....so I have to reselect what I JUST put in the folder a second time and set it to online.....before it ACTUALLY syncs online and then wait for it to complete being synced online (instead of local) so I can upload another set of 75 files. Repeat"

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for clarifying that for me @foxandivoryhelp!

In this case, as they are adding the files to the Dropbox folder to upload them to their account, it's expected that the files remain locally even though the folder is set to have its content "online only". This occurs as the file is added to Dropbox in a "local" state ie. taking space on the computer's hard drive.

An alternative I can suggest would be to upload the files via the web browser. You'll be able to upload up to 50 GB at a time and you can ensure the files will sync down to the computer by checking the following:

1. Click the Dropbox icon in your system tray/menu bar.
  2. Click the profile pic/initials icon in the top right of the window.
  3. Choose Preferences...
  4. Go to the Sync tab.
  5. Check that under the Smart Sync section, the option is set for new files to start as: "online only".

I hope this helps to clarify the matter - Thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?