cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues with viewing my RAW files in dropbox

Issues with viewing my RAW files in dropbox

New member | Level 2

Hi Everyone,

I am hoping someone can help me figure this out, I tried looking up my problem and could not find a single solution.

I am using dropbox for my images for a college class I am taking, we are using it to critique the images and allowing the professor to see the images from there so that he can grade them. I am sharing the file with my professor so that he can view the images on his computer. Now here's my problem, when I drop my images/files into dropbox and view them from there, I notice the quality of the image has changed, as well as my black and white images displaying as color. I have to use RAW files for the class and thats what I submitted. I have tried seeing if it does the same thing with different file types and it does. I have tried exporting as "Original" and putting that in the dropbox and I still get the same result. 

I am positive it's a dropbox related problem since my files load perfectly from with my adobe programs and with my personal files. The change seems to happen only in dropbox. 

Any suggestions are appreciated and I am willing to try anything at this point. Thanks in advance.

3 Replies 3

Re: Issues with viewing my RAW files in dropbox

Dropboxer

Hello there @Phoenix19, I hope you're well today!

This may be due to the way that the preview of the files is generated. If you download the file from the website, does it show as expected when you open it?

When you preview the file in your account, you will see a scaled down version for faster loading. However, if you download the actual file then you shouldn't see any difference in the original and the downloaded copy.

Let me know what you find!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

New member | Level 2

I downloaded the actual file in dropbox and as I viewed them the quality was the same as the original, but my black and white image was still in color. Is there a way to keep it in black and white without that transition?

Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me here @Phoenix19!

There wouldn't be a way to change the preview that's generated I'm afraid. Can you let me know how you're sharing these files?

If you happen to be using a shared link, perhaps I can suggest changing the end of the link to force it to download.

This way, the file will automatically download when the link is opened (skipping the preview) and the file can be opened locally in the appropriate app.

Let me know if this helps!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?