cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Ross uses Dropbox to answer some new house questions here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's difficult to check the size of a folder

It's difficult to check the size of a folder

marc b.13
New member | Level 2

this post from way back and the comments show how unresolved this issue is, despite the trumpeting post:

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-accounts-billing/How-can-I-see-the-folder-size-on-dropbox-co...

yes i also know the help article: https://help.dropbox.com/accounts-billing/space-storage/file-size

but why make it so complicated!?   why do we have to select Size in order to be granted the privilege to see waydown the "calculate size" feature?  why such a convoluted hidden way to a critical feature that i constantly need.. and in view of the user comments i am only one of many!

1 Reply 1

Re: It's difficult to check the size of a folder

Jay
Dropboxer

Hi @marc b.13, thanks for posting on the Community!

We appreciate any feedback about the Dropbox site.

As files can sync constantly, a folder which contains files would have its size change frequently, meaning the site would need to recalculate this every second for every single folder, causing delays and performance issues when navigating the site.

The option to calculate the size allows users to detect the current size at that very moment of the folder, and all subfolders within. This is similar to how some OSes don't display the folder size without first calculating it in their file explorer.

Hope this helps to clarify matters!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?