cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Joining A New Dropbox And Avoiding Selective Sync Conflict Copies

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

My goal here is to get back to the point where I can right click on folders and bring them locally (via smart sync) to work rather than only having the 'online only' option under the smart sync menu.

Situation - I just recently started a new job and was added to the company dropbox.  At my previous job (before smart sync was released) I exclusively used selective sync and when smart sync was rolled out all my folders were working just fine.  However, this time around when I installed dropbox, linked my account, got the company folder to show up on my drive....  every folder is showing 'online only' as the only option under smart sync.  I need to be able to sync these locally, for obvious reasons.  

To remedy this, I tried to selective sync the folders I wanted with the hopes that I would then have the 'local' option show up under the smart sync dropdown menu.  However, when I selective sync'd the folders I desired to work in, all it did was create conflict copies of each folder.  For some of the folders, the 'online' option under smart sync became available and I had to go delete the conflict copy folder... for others I was still just left with 'online only' plus an embarassing looking conflict copy folder.  

Does anyone have advice for how to get the 'local' option for smart sync, without using selective sync and inevitably creating conflict copies?  Am I doing something wrong or is this an inherent issue that dropbox is working to fix?

Thanks!

3 Replies 3
Highlighted

Re: Joining A New Dropbox And Avoiding Selective Sync Conflict Copies

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hello @MWR6381 - welcome to the Dropbox Community!

At first, let me clarify that Smart Sync is not to be confused with selective sync. Read on for more information!

Smart Sync is a Dropbox feature that helps you save space on your hard drive and access every file and folder in your Dropbox account from your computer, using virtually no hard drive space while selective sync is meant to remove the folders you select (through the selective sync settings under the desktop app's preferences) from your device completely.

If you'd like to change your default setting for new content, please follow these steps:

1. Click the Dropbox icon from the system tray.
  2. Click your profile picture or initials and select Preferences... from the menu.
  3. Click Sync.
  4. Choose your work Dropbox account.
  5. Change the selection for Smart Sync Default:
    • Admin default: the default setting chosen by your team admin.
    • Local: all new content downloads to your computer.
    • Online-only: manually download files to your computer when you need them.

As per the selective sync conflicts you noticed, please take a look at the following Help Center article: https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/sync-uploads/selective-sync-conflict 

I hope this helps and please keep me posted on your progress!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Walter,

Thank you for your reply. 

The problem I am trying to fix is that when I right click on a folder that is online only, the smart sync menu does not give me the option to sync it locally.  So essentially I have a dropbox where everything is online only and I cannot bring it locally.  

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for the reply @MWR6381!

Can you post a screenshot of the options you get when you click on files/folders within your Dropbox Folder so I can investigate further? 

Thanks!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?