cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Emma uses to-do lists to get it all done here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just started Dropbox, already full because entire laptop is linked.

Just started Dropbox, already full because entire laptop is linked.

Truthckr
Explorer | Level 3

Problem #1: App does not appear, even though it says it's installed.  Icon only opens up to a folder.  With no app, I can't go into Preferences to change anything.  Online doesn't show Preferences.  Have installed, uninstalled, and reinstalled several times and the app still doesn't show.

Problem #2: Entire laptop was accidentally attached, so I immediately got a message saying it's full and I have to purchase more space.  I don't need a backup of my laptop; how can I undo this?  I managed to unlink my laptop, but all of my files are still attached.

Problem #3: How can I undo this without losing all of my files?

Thank you!

8 Replies 8

Re: Just started Dropbox, already full because entire laptop is linked.

Lori
Dropboxer

Hey @Truthckr, I wish you a great day. Let's look into this!

Can you locate your Dropbox icon (next to your WiFi), hover your mouse there and let me know what the status of the app is? 

You should be able to click on it, and open your app's Preferences.

If that's not the case, let me know. 

As for your second question, it seems you've enabled our Computer Backup feature.

You should be able to disable it, and move your content back by following the steps in this Help Center article. 

Let me know how this goes!

Lori
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Kevin_H
New member | Level 2

This happened to me yesterday!

Can you break down the article and show simple steps "How to remove files on Dropbox WITHOUT deleting the file on PC", i.e. a safe removal of Dropbox files.

Truthckr
Explorer | Level 3
Hi, thanks for responding! I did find Preferences, so the app must be down on the taskbar only. However when I go into Backups, I don't have Manage Backups, I only have Setup. How can I take my laptop off Dropbox and get my files back to their original spot? Thanks!!

Lori
Dropboxer

Hey folks, I hope you have a great Wednesday! 

Were you able to follow the steps shown in the Help Center article? If so, do you need further assistance with any particular steps @Kevin_H

Also @Truthckr, let me ask if you tried to disable Computer Backup from the same device you enabled it on.

Keep me posted!

Lori
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Truthckr
Explorer | Level 3
Hi Lori, thanks for helping! When I go to Backups, the only option is Setup, which the article states means Backup is not set up. But it is. My files are all under Dropbox and my Dropbox is full. Is there a way to undo that and return my files to their original place? Thanks, Kim

Lori
Dropboxer
Thanks for the details @Truthckr

Can you send me a screenshot of what you see under Backups, please? 

Make sure none of your personal info is shown there.

Lori
dropbox.com/support

Truthckr
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Lori, 

I have a screenshot of my Backups tab.  This is what I have.  Thanks, Kim

Truthckr_0-1621027619255.png

Lori
Dropboxer

Thank you for the screenshot @Truthckr

It seems you've disabled the feature already, hence you don't see the option.

When following the steps to remove the backup, did you choose to "Keep content in folders on this PC" or "Leave content in Dropbox"? 

If it's the latter, you can drag-and-drop those files from the Dropbox folder back to their original folders, at any time.

Lori
dropbox.com/support

Poll
We love to learn from the educators who use Dropbox. Whether you teach kids, teens, adults or a combination of all three, we want to know what apps and integrations you use with Dropbox to help with teaching. Which of the ones below is your favorite, or most used tool?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Lori Dropboxer
    Truthckr Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?