Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Keep local copy on single device

Explorer | Level 4

Hi, I am considering upgrading my free dropbox account to keep my 2TB media collection backuped. I have two linux desktops and a laptop (plus mobile of course). Free account allows only 3 devices and so upgrade will solve that problem too.

What I hope to achieve is to have a local copy of the whole media collection on a single linux desktop. So playing media from that one will be possible offline. On another linux machine and laptop I have not much space left. But I hope to be able to play media files in Dropbox folder transparantely (i.e. not needing to use browser - I mostly use MOC commandline player, VLC, KODI) and after playing those files should not stay as local copies (or stay up to some total GB limit for that dropbox folder).

Is that possible? I hope smart sync is smart enough to allow that

Regards,

Nick

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Keep local copy on single device

Super Collaborator | Level 20

@nkk64 wrote:

Hi @nkk64,

Actually you can't use "Smart Sync" on Linux, unfortunately! There was many queries over time for such support, including one coming from me, but seems Dropbox restricted the multiplatform support. The queries start before 2018 and the status is still new, how long you are ready to wait for?! This is not the only example for differences in the support for different platforms. Sync issues visualization, for example, is supported only on MAC, neither on Linux or on Windows! There are many other examples, also. So, consider your intent again. Depending on what exactly you are trying achieve, there are other better choices. For example, pCloud support file access without local sync (just some limited cache for such files), exactly what you are looking for , and you can select if and where to sync something locally. Also, much uniform support for different platforms.

Happy new year and Good luck!

PS: "Mega" could be good alternative, also. If the machines are on same LAN, another possibility is sync on one machine locally and access same content on all others machines locally (using samba, ftp, sftp, ...).

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
Highlighted

Super Collaborator | Level 20

@nkk64 wrote:

Hi @nkk64,

Actually you can't use "Smart Sync" on Linux, unfortunately! There was many queries over time for such support, including one coming from me, but seems Dropbox restricted the multiplatform support. The queries start before 2018 and the status is still new, how long you are ready to wait for?! This is not the only example for differences in the support for different platforms. Sync issues visualization, for example, is supported only on MAC, neither on Linux or on Windows! There are many other examples, also. So, consider your intent again. Depending on what exactly you are trying achieve, there are other better choices. For example, pCloud support file access without local sync (just some limited cache for such files), exactly what you are looking for , and you can select if and where to sync something locally. Also, much uniform support for different platforms.

Happy new year and Good luck!

PS: "Mega" could be good alternative, also. If the machines are on same LAN, another possibility is sync on one machine locally and access same content on all others machines locally (using samba, ftp, sftp, ...).

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Can anyone recommend some other cloud storage that allows what I'm looking for?

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Thank you,

It's a pity linux is not a first class citizen here :( Seems I'll have to invest in upgrading my NAS.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?