Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Keep updated copy of whole Dropbox on External Drive.

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hi, I'm trying to find a solution to be able to keep a copy of the whole Dropbox content on an external drive that I can take with me when traveling. Selective Sync works really well on the 3 computers I use for work but I need to be able to access and preview things from my archive quickly and sometimes when offline.

I can't think of a way to do this other than having a machine syncing everything on a local drive and then making a copy of that on an external drive, either with Time Machine or a folders synching app. It doesn't seem to me like a very efficent way to do it though, since I would be basically keeping 2 copies of my whole Dropbox. I'd also be able to synch my External Drive only when that one machine that holds the master copy would be available.

I hope this makes sense and someone has a better idea to accomplish this.  Thanks!

3 Replies 3
Highlighted

Re: Keep updated copy of whole Dropbox on External Drive.

Super User II
Super User II

The only way to do that easily is to move your Dropbox folder to the external drive through Preferences in the Dropbox client, but this is NOT recommended. Syncing to an external drive can cause data loss under the right circumstances, especially if you're detaching the drive to take it with you.

The better solution is, as you say, to use a folder syncing application to duplicate your Dropbox folder to the external drive. I actually do this often, not as a way to take files with me, but just to have a local backup of my data.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Thanks Rich, yeah I thought about doing that but I'm aware that keeping the Drobbox folder on an external HD is not recomended at all. Seems like you also reached the same conclusion I reached then.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

This is interesting, had actually thought about something similar but didn't give it a proper try:

https://approductive.wordpress.com/2015/02/23/the-ideal-dropbox-setup-for-external-hard-drives/

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?