cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LOST DATA. THE WONDERFUL, CLEVER AND DARDWORKING AND RESPONSIVE AND DID I SAY CLEVER OH SO CLEVER WO

LOST DATA. THE WONDERFUL, CLEVER AND DARDWORKING AND RESPONSIVE AND DID I SAY CLEVER OH SO CLEVER WO

Explorer | Level 3

HI I WANT TO BRING TO EVERONE'S ATTENTION THAT DB LOSE DATA. THEY ARE UNABLE TO RECOVER IT AS WELL. THE STATEMENT THAT YOU CAN RECOVER YOUR DATA FOR 30 DAYS AFTER IT WAS DELETED IS A BARE FACED LIE

IT HAS HAPPENED TO ME[personal information removed as per the Community's Guidelines].  I MOVED THE DB APP FROM MY APPLICATIO FOLDER ON MAC AND PUT IT IN THE BIN. I THEN DELETED IT FROM THE BIN. PLEASE NOTE I DID NOT TOUCH MY FOLDERS OR FILES BUT YEAH MOST OF MY CURRENT DATA WAS LOST. BUT SURELY THEY CAN RECOVER IT. WELL, TURNS OUT THEY CANNOT.

PLEASE BE AWARE DB LOSES DATA AND CANNOT RECOVER IT. THOSE WONDERFUL PLEASING GOOD PEOPLE

7 Replies 7

Re: LOST DATA. THE WONDERFUL, CLEVER AND DARDWORKING AND RESPONSIVE AND DID I SAY CLEVER OH SO CL...

Dropboxer

Hi there @OM7; thanks for joining our Community and taking the time to provide us with your thoughts on this. 

Can you please let me know some additional information about this in order to advise further?

For example, can you walk me through the steps you took that resulted in this and if you've tried any troubleshooting so far? 

It goes without saying that any additional information is more than welcome!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Ask permission before you take a user's data

Explorer | Level 3

before you take a user's data create a large box with the question Are you sure you want dropbox to take your data because there is a risk it will be lost

Re: Ask permission before you take a user's data

Explorer | Level 3

Good idea!

It happened to me. 26 October 2020 I did not want dropbox (I had the free version) and moved the app to the bin and then deleted it from the bin.

Imagine my horror when I discovered that my data was gone. But I hap hope that it would be on the db server, after all, they say you have 30 days to recover lost data. Please note: I did NOT DELETE MY DATA, I DELETED DROPBOX AND THEY DELETED MY DATA. Here is the email I got from them after 3 weeks:Monica, Nov 19, 2020, 7:54 AM PST:

Hello Onno,

It's Monica again with Dropbox Support. Thank you for your patience. I apologize for any delays in response.

I've just heard back from our engineering team regarding your missing files.  

If during the initial process of syncing you saw an alert stating that your account is over quota, there is a chance that the content didn't reach out servers and are still located on your local device as a hidden file.  

The engineering team is suggesting that if you are unable to find/view the content on Dropbox.com, or on your local device, try turning on the "view hidden files/folders" in your file manager.  

After you have turned this on, try searching for the files.  If the files are not there, I am afraid that we won't be able to recover those files. 

are'nt they just wonderful! Those dear lovely helpful caring professional brilliant people. NOT SO MUCH 

Re: LOST DATA. THE WONDERFUL, CLEVER AND DARDWORKING AND RESPONSIVE AND DID I SAY CLEVER OH SO CL...

Explorer | Level 3

Events at Drop Box

Hi Walter thank you. Here is my story

1. I installed the free version od Dropbox (db) some time August /September 2020. After a few weeks I was informed y db that the storage was almost full and that I should upgrade. I did not realise that db was backing up my data; I don’t remember ever giving permission as I don’t want a third party to hold my data.
  2. 26 October 2020 I decided to tidy up my mac and deleted db y moving the app from my application folder to the bin and then deleting it from the bin. To my horror I soon discovered that the projects I had painstakingly recorded and produced over the last 18 months were gone. When I looked at db I was relieved to see that deleted data would be available for 30 days after deletion.
  3. Then started a 3 week battle of trying to get hold of the appropriate people at db to help me recover my data. (They do not exist). I have strings of emails to several ‘agents’ and I was active in many web chats on db web pages
  4. On 19 November I received this email:

Monica, Nov 19, 2020, 7:54 AM PST:

Hello Onno,

It's Monica again with Dropbox Support. Thank you for your patience. I apologize for any delays in response.

I've just heard back from our engineering team regarding your missing files.  

If during the initial process of syncing you saw an alert stating that your account is over quota, there is a chance that the content didn't reach out servers and are still located on your local device as a hidden file.  

The engineering team is suggesting that if you are unable to find/view the content on Dropbox.com, or on your local device, try turning on the "view hidden files/folders" in your file manager.  

After you have turned this on, try searching for the files.  If the files are not there, I am afraid that we won't be able to recover those files. 

If there is anything else I can assist you with, feel free to reply to this message and, I'll be happy to help.

Thank you again for your time and cooperation. 

Regards,
Monica

No there is not any data in hidden files; that’s db trying to slide out of responsibility. Just to confirm that db do back up data I entered into a chat with db and took this screen shot

So this is a lie.

And that is my sad and very frustrating tale.

Explorer | Level 3
Events at Drop Box
Hi Walter thank you. Here is my story
1. I installed the free version od Dropbox (db) some time August
/September 2020. After a few weeks I was informed y db that the
storage was almost full and that I should upgrade. I did not realise
that db was backing up my data; I don’t remember ever giving
permission as I don’t want a third party to hold my data.
2. 26 October 2020 I decided to tidy up my mac and deleted db y
moving the app from my application folder to the bin and then
deleting it from the bin. To my horror I soon discovered that the
projects I had painstakingly recorded and produced over the last
18 months were gone. When I looked at db I was relieved to see
that deleted data would be available for 30 days after deletion.
3. Then started a 3 week battle of trying to get hold of the appropriate
people at db to help me recover my data. (They do not exist). I
have strings of emails to several ‘agents’ and I was active in many
web chats on db web pages
4. On 19 November I received this email:
Monica, Nov 19, 2020, 7:54 AM PST:



Explorer | Level 3

This will not accept a screen shot (db don't want incriminating evidence )

She said

We do have backup (sic) of your backups just in case if (sic) anything were to happen to your files.

You will always have access to your files and no matter what happens. (Sic) We will always have your files backed up

Well, l I have first hand experience that this is absolute RUBBISH

Aah the good kind clever gentle caring folk at Dropbox they are NOT 

lost

Explorer | Level 3

Walter

I gave you the whole story and patiently await for gem laden answer. Still mining?

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

OM7 Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?