cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We love to hear how every person gets the most from Dropbox, and it seems everyone has a slightly different use for it - tell us yours here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Laptop crashed, deleted 1TB of Dropbox files. How to avoid MASSIVE ISP charges for data overage?

Laptop crashed, deleted 1TB of Dropbox files. How to avoid MASSIVE ISP charges for data overage?

Charles-Waugh
Explorer | Level 3

This morning, when I turned on my laptop, it had an odd gray screen. 

I did hard reboot (lloooooong hold on power button)

It started up fine.

B U T . . . 

About 1 tb of files had been deleted in dropbox.

Well, my main data drive on my desktop at home has all the files, and it had gotten unplugged soemhow (it's an external drive).

So, I went to Dropbox online, restored the deleted files, plugged in my data drive and Dropbox says t will be two days to restore all the data! Yipes!

The last time something happened with Dropbox, I got nailed with an $80 data overage per dady fee by my ISP. 

Sigh . . . 

Any thoughts on how to fix this deletion without killing my wallet?

My only thought is to disable my internet, make sure that 'Sync over LAN' is ON on all of my computers, and let it run. But, I fear that the date stamps may be wrong or somesuch, necessitating a full download anyway!

Thanks!

3 Replies 3

Re: Laptop crashed, deleted 1TB of Dropbox files. How to avoid MASSIVE ISP charges for data overage?

Mark
Super User II

Hi

Sadly this is why external drives are not recommended at all. 

You wont be able to use LAN sync if the internet is not connected as it uses the internet to hashcheck the files. 

Do you have the files available elsewhere? Can you manually replace them on Dropbox on your computer and then restart the software to just do a database rebuild?

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Re: Laptop crashed, deleted 1TB of Dropbox files. How to avoid MASSIVE ISP charges for data overage?

Charles-Waugh
Explorer | Level 3

Mark,

Thanks for writing!

Yes, I have the entire external drive with ALL of it's contents running happily now.

As noted, there was a strange gray screen on my laptop at roughly the same time, so I don't know which may have been the culprit.

MY CONCERN is that when I hook up my external (Dropbox) drive to my computer, the computer reports that it will be downloading 750,000 files and uploading 90,000 (round numbers), and will run (variously reported as it grinds away) up to 3 days.

Is there anyway to get around this or am I just stuck with letting it work away in the backgroud all day/night/day/night, etc.?

Thanks so much for any help!

Charles

Charles-Waugh
Explorer | Level 3

Another two questions:

Is the reporting of the number of files to upload/download actual? Or is that just a notation and doesn;t REALLY mean that all that data will be up/down loaded?

And is the 'time remaining' reality-based, or is it just a 'wild guess' based on total data and the current data exchange rate?

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Charles-Waugh Explorer | Level 3
    Mark Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?