cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to make our Community work for you and we need your help. Take our short survey!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Large amount of files being uploaded and downloaded

Highlighted

Large amount of files being uploaded and downloaded

Explorer | Level 4

Edited by moderatorEdited by moderatorAs of this evening (Thailand’s time) it seems like a large amount of my files were being uploaded, downloaded, and indexed, for no good reasons.  I was doing nothing extraordinary at the time.  So I turned off my PC for a few hours.  Now after turning on the PC again, Dropbox started to upload and download large amount of files again (meaning that my attempt to mitigate the problem by shutting down the machine has been in vain).  The screen capture is attached.  Please give me some clues.

Thanks

PK

6 Replies 6
Highlighted

Re: Large amount of files being uploaded and downloaded

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi there @PeeKay, thanks for reaching out to us here!

It may be that your desktop app is "syncing" after a recent update. After some updates the app may need to reindex the files within your account and this can sometimes show "uploading/downloading" in the sync status.

To check that there was indeed no big changes within your account that would cause this, you can check your Events page here.

In this case, if you don't see any big events, I'd recommend allowing the app to index the files. However, do let me know if the status appears to be stuck and doesn't change.

Let me know what you find!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Hi Daphne,

I’ve checked my events page, and found no big events nor anything weird.  So I guess I’ll go to bed and let the app does the syncing (although I don’t at all like the way the harddisk’s LED is flashing).

Hopefully things will get back to normal by tomorrow morning (Thailand’s time).  Will let you know if it doesn’t get any better by then.

Thanks,

PK

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me here @PeeKay!

I'm happy to hear that you didn't find any big changes there. Hopefully the syncing will be finished by the morning. 

Keep me posted on the progress! 

Daphne

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Hi Daphne,

The mysterious indexing is done sometime last night even before I was awake.

Thanks for your help,

PK

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3
Hi, last night UK time, this issue happened with me, I decided to leave this to sync, but after a day of syncing it has stopped with around 145,000 files left to sync. I have restarted both Dropbox and computer with no luck. Running Windows 7 could this be the issue? No big changes in event log.
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey peeps, I hope you both had a good weekend!

I'm very glad to hear that you're up and running now @PeeKay.

If you happen to have any other issues, please don't hesitate to get back to me here. I'd be more than happy to help.

I'm sorry to hear you're having issues with syncing @Stretch11! If you're still having issues and the sync appears to be stuck, can you take a look at the steps here to see if that does the trick?

Let me know if this helps!

Daphne

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?