cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Larger open office files upload really slowly. It's a weird problem.

Larger open office files upload really slowly. It's a weird problem.

Explorer | Level 3

Hey all.

Here's what's going on these past 2 days. I work on the desktop app and I use dropbox as any other folder on my computer. Every time I try to save a large(-ish) open office (.odt to be exact) file, it takes about 15 minutes to upload. Any other file (.pdf, .docx) uploads just fine. I tried everything. I fiddled with the settings, I unsynced by dropbox, I ended up reinstalling it, the problem persists.

It might be relevant, but I had a power outage the other day while I was working. I accidentally clicked on the wrong button and it didn't recover (I lost about one hour of work, no big deal) the document. But then again, why just choose all the .odt files in any dropbox folder to do that?

It's not my network, GDrive and OneDrive work fine (with .odt files as well; in fact, I switched to GDrive for as long as the problem persists, but I really want to go back to Dropbox), my speeds for anything else are fine.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

5 Replies 5

Re: Larger open office files upload really slowly. It's a weird problem.

Dropboxer

Hi there @McFortinbras, I'm more than happy to help look into this with you. 

I'll just need a bit more info to make sure that I have a better understanding of what's happening. For example:

• Could you let me know what your Dropbox icon shows when you hover over it?
  • How large are the files you're having trouble with?
  • How many files do you have in your Dropbox folder locally? 
  • Does this happen with all .odt files or specific ones? 

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3

Hey @Lusil,

Thank you for your reply.

Here are the answers:

When I hover over the icon it either just says "uploading NameofFile", but it can either show the speed or not. But when I go to the app and see the sync queue, it always says "waiting to sync"

The files aren't really that large. Anything above 60 or 70 kb gets stuck (but for a document file that's dozens of pages). One-page documents don't seem to get stuck.

I've got over 1,700 files in about 190 folders, but most files are really small, since my work only involves working on text documents (.docx, .pdf, .odt etc.)

It happens with all .odt files above 60 or 70 kb. It doesn't happen with any other type of files.

I really hope we can get to the bottom of this, because I find dropbox easier to work with than the other services.

Dropboxer

Thanks for the additional info, @McFortinbras.

Could you then try the following steps in the exact order listed, and see if they do the trick?

• Click on the Dropbox icon in your system tray (Windows) or menu bar (Mac).
  • Go to the gear or avatar icon that's on the top right corner of the Notifications panel.
  • Select Preferences...
  • Navigate to the Account tab.
  • Click anywhere in the window under the tab.
  • Hold down the 'Alt+H' keys (Windows) or the 'Option/Alt' key (Mac).
  • Click on the Fix Hardlinks button (if you’re on a Mac OS, make sure you're still holding down the 'Option/Alt' key).
  • If you're asked for your computer's login credentials, enter them.
  • Wait a bit to see if Dropbox resumes syncing.

If the above steps don’t resolve your issue, repeat steps 1-6, but at step 7, click on the Fix Permissions button, instead. 

Keep me posted!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3

Hey, thanks for the help, but unfortunately neither of these things worked. But the Alt+H thing revealed more options. Should I press these buttons? Should I try something else?

Dropboxer

Hey @McFortinbras!

Would you mind sending me a screenshot of the options you're referring to, excluding any personal info?

Also, can you let me know what version of the app you have installed?

Cheers!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?